1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer is fried! What happened? Please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ardfoe8, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ardfoe8

Ardfoe8 Thread Starter

Here's what happened:

Yesterday evening, I turn on my computer and smell a vague odor of burning...my friend notices it as well. I probably should have realized something was wrong, but I didn't pay much attention to it and I began to play a computer game that I have. About an forty minutes later, my computer screen all of a sudden is covered with colored squares (I think) and colored lines....across the whole screen. I manually shut down my computer, and then turn it back on again. Three minutes later, my computer screen goes crazy again and I see black and white thick lines across my whole screen (I think). I shut my computer down manually again, and when I try to turn it back on, my computer screen shows nothing...in fact, my computer monitor turns off (goes into idle mode...it's what it does when I turn the monitor on but I the actual computer is not turned on.) However, my computer is clearly on - the power light is green. Also, strangely, the light that flickers when my computer is doing a lot of stuff (I'm pretty sure it flickers when the computer has to access the hard drive because of insufficient ram for the job it may be doing), is totally green and not even flickering, it's just staying green. That tells me that it might be the ram that's problem, but I honestly have no idea.

Can anyone walk me through and tell me how I can find the problem! I did a really quick search of the insides of my computer to see if any wires seemed fried, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.

Help!

2. rosh325

rosh325

hi...do you know where the burning smell was coming from? could have been a CRT blowing in your monitor. Do you have another monitor y ou can try the computer on? Open your computer..is the processor fan spinning?

3. Kevbum522

Kevbum522

Yeah, that definetely sounds like a cathode ray tube burning out in your monitor, we've had monitors in the store like that that have had the black lines and such. Try hooking up a used one see if that works for you:p

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the LEDS on the computer are acting different I would suspect something in the computer such as a fan that failed or a powersupply that failed. If the smell is coming from the powersupply that at least that is toast - maybe more. You can try looking at the motherboard for burns. You can also look at the capacitors on the mobo - if the tops are blown off or even bubbled up then you need a new mobo too(at least).

5. Ardfoe8

Ardfoe8 Thread Starter

I tried another monitor and it didn't work just like my normal one, so it's not the monitor...and i'm 99.9% sure its not the ram or the video card or anything because I double checked that they aren't loose and they aren't...

Also, the motherboard looks fine.

So it's probably the power supply, correct? Or could it be the harddrive? How the heck can I find out?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Ardfoe8...

IMHO...

Anytime I see this, associated with a burning smell, usually the video card is fried...

Time for a replacement...

If the card also has a fan, might want to see if it is working...

7. kgjames2nd

kgjames2nd

I think it is your video card the power supply probably caused a short and fried your card or your card simply needs replacing but it is usually cause by some sort of powersurge i would hook up a voltage regulator and make sure your power supply is performing the way it is suppose to

8. Ardfoe8

Ardfoe8 Thread Starter

OK Thanks guys! It was the video card - my one year old Geforce 4 ti 4200. I'm now using my really old Geforce 2 MX, which is a peice of crap for games, but works just fine for internet browing and music and the like.

Now, is their anyway that my Geforce 4 might be repaired? If it's going to cost money, don't mention it, because I'd rather buy a new card instead of spending money on it.

9. kgjames2nd

kgjames2nd

u are better off buying a new one

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

IMHO...

You would be better off buying a new card...

If it has a fan...maybe...( try replacing the fan )...if it has a heat sink forget it...

Might also want to see if it is under warenty...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice