1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer is no longer reading DVD's/DVD ROMS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HeatherB1, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HeatherB1

HeatherB1 Thread Starter

For some reason, my computer (A Gateway DX420S Desktop Computer with Windows XP) is no longer reading DVD's or DVD ROMS, but I can still get it to read CD's. I really need to find out how to get it to work again because I just got some new software and I can't load it onto my computer until it starts reading DVD-ROM's again.

Could anyone please help me? Thanks!;)

[​IMG]

2. C141

C141

If it's reading CDs but not DVDs it's on the way out. CD/DVD drives are inexpensive & easy to replace.
    What usually happens is the laser is no longer able to adjust the focus correctly to read the DVD. NewEgg would be a good place to check for a replacement. You need to ident the type. IDE or SATA.

3. HeatherB1

HeatherB1 Thread Starter

I should also say that even sometimes with CD's (Audio or Data), I sometimes have to eject it and insert again a few times before it will read (and it makes a funny noise while starting up). Does that still mean it's probably going out?

If so, what kind of drive should I look for? I think I would prefer an external one since I don't know how to replace an internal one, and I need one that can read CD and DVD's. Any suggestions from that site?

Also, how do I find out if I need IDE or SATA?

4. HeatherB1

HeatherB1 Thread Starter

Yeah, now it won't even play audio CD's. :(

So how do I find out if I need IDE or SATA? And if I bought an internal one, are they simple to change?

5. C141

C141

Well, it certainly sounds as though it's close to seeing the last of it's days. Replacing an internal drive is basically pretty simple, but I understand your apprehension. Perhaps you have a friend with some experience that could assist. If you go the external route, you'll find the vast majority of the drives are the 'Slim' type. NewEgg.com or Amazon would be good places to check. External units hook up via USB & the type of drive [IDE or SATA] that is in the enclosure would not matter. I've had good experience with LG, Samsung & Liteon drives. Here's a couple of LGs, with good reviews at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-GP10NB20-P...9067589&sr=8-7&keywords=external+cd+dvd+drive

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Powered-Er...9067589&sr=8-3&keywords=external+cd+dvd+drive

SATA or IDE? Just look at the cable type connected to the rear of the drive. See pic at link.

http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/sata-vs-ide.html

Internal drives are generally easy to replace. External drives are pretty much just Plug & Play.

6. HeatherB1

HeatherB1 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help! I think I'm going to try the first one you listed. Hopefully I have success with it!(y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!