My computer is overheating

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pillze2007

My computer is only about a year or two old and it always overheats and shutsdown. even if i'm only running one program such as psp video 9 it will work for about twenty minutes and eventually shut down due to overheating. what can i do?

dustyjay

Jay
A year or two? Is it closer to 2 than to 1? When was the last time you took a can of cpmrpessed air to your computer? Opened it up and blew out the dust and stuff? If you heatsink is choked with dust and your fans are caked their cooling ability will not be adequate. Do not use a vacuum inside your computer. Vacuums are high Eletrostatic Charge generators which can if discharged into an innocent electronic circuit spell a quick and horrible death to said component or Computer!

I would definately start by cleaning out the chassis and all the fans- working extensively with computers, yes, they get very nasty looking indeed.

Also, rather as an aside, if youve done any upgrades, take care to keep the cabling neat, as especially the fat IDE ribbon can seriously impede airflow.

Make sure that all of the fans are working- some may have burned out without your knowledge....

Im sure ill think of more later...

you might want to make sure all of you unit's ventilation openings are not blocked and have adequate air flow

more info about your system might be a help. How many fans, what sizes where are they located, what type of cpu and heatsink. Many computers, particularly big box type, are not real good at keeping your system cool, they use small cases, small or not enough fans, in our quest for quiet systems, fan rpms have gone down along with cfm of course. I have a good size mid tower case with one 120mm fan in the back as an exhaust, it is a high flow type and keeps fresh air moving though the case, in addition to an after-market hsf, socket A type with an 80mm fan on it, the power supply just has a small rear fan, no cpu intake. So basically one case fan does all the work, however as has been said you have to keep all this stuff clean. Pull case fans out and clean with 90% alcohol and q-tips, throughly blow out inside of case, pull heats ink and reinstall with fresh thermal paste, make sure case is not in a tight area with obstructed air flow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online