1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer is skipping the bios, nor likes explorer anymore...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dj09292, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dj09292

dj09292 Thread Starter

I have very limited knowledge as far as computer goes so please try to explain any solutions as if you were explaining them to a child. Earlier today I went to rearrange my desk and put my tower on top of it, so of course i unplugged everything because it was all running through my desk. I reconnected everything clicked power up with the side panel off because its a warm day and my fan didn't seem to be doing the trick. It was odd my computer didn't go through the normal system BIOS or do the loading windows XP screen thing. It did however load my background and i could move my mouse and right click the screen and it would bring up the usual properties and such menus. But the big problem is, all my desktop icons are gone, the task bar is gone, and ctrl+alt+delete is not working.

I tried putting in my drivers disk and my windows XP CDs to see if i could reformat. Note I have never reformatted, so whether that was the right thing to do or not could vary. Either way I can't find a solution, there doesn't seem anything left to lose with it so ill try any suggestions or ideas. Thank you for your time.

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Was your computer completely shut down, or hibernating?

You shouldn't have to do a complete reformat; the worst you should need is a repair install (all your files will remain intact)

3. dj09292

dj09292 Thread Starter

I really wouldnt know the difference, I did the start menu shut down. Also I don't think I can repair it, all I can do is move my mouse and right click, when i try to open properties or anything it won't load it.

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Take your Windows disc out of the drive, hold the power button on the tower for three seconds (or until the system shuts down), wait a few seconds, push the power button again, and describe what happens.

Warning! This is not a good way to power down the computer, but in your case, you don't seem to have any other options.

5. dj09292

dj09292 Thread Starter

I just tried it again, it repeated the same thing. It went back to my old background and the taskbar/desktop icons were still not there, the normal start up functions were skipped. :S

6. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

...Skipped the BIOS...

Weird. Really weird.

I have no idea what could have gone so horribly wrong, so I can't really offer any advice to fix it. I swear, it sounds like the computer is not shutting down, but hibernating.

7. dj09292

dj09292 Thread Starter

Alright thanks for the help, I'll poke around a bit more and try a few things, otherwise i guess its just a paper weight now...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!