1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my computer just entered the matrix.. green dots everywhere

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by avidracerf1, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avidracerf1

avidracerf1 Thread Starter

the other day i started experiencing random green dots on my screen during windows and freezes momentarily.. after it recovers i get error event id 4101 "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." it does this repeatedly and makes the computer unusable.
    i can run the computer in safe mode without issues. i attempted to uninstall display drivers usind driver sweeper and then reinstall the ati drivers. not sure what to do..

hp pavillion dv7 w/ win7 home 64 and ati mobility radeon hd 4200 M880G

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

You attempted to uninstall display drivers ? What exactly happened ?

Try re-seating the ram stick(s).

3. Alex4

Alex4

Sounds like artifacting to me. Usually a sign the graphics chip is failing or overheating. If reinstalling the latest drivers didn't help that would be my first guess.

4. Bugo

Bugo

Hey avidracerf1, did you fixed this? I'm having the exact same issue with the same video card on a DV4 2116LA.

Yesterday i've removed one 2GB Dimm leaving just 2GB on the other slot and that fixed it. But today it started happening again.

I've partly dissasembled the laptop and removed all dust from fan, so now it's 64C degrees, should be a heating problem, but seems it's something related to the RAM.

5. Simba7

Simba7

64C idle? Something is definitely wrong.

You might have to put new thermal compound on the processor and video chip.

6. Bugo

Bugo

I don't think 64C is that bad for certain Laptops. This is a friends laptop, when she gave it to me, the CPU was actually reaching up to 88/90 degrees C. (that is actually insane)

IMHO, the videochip fried a little bit. I've disassembled the whole Laptop, to bare bones, changed the thermal paste and removed all dust, but the video card is still failing.

Whenever you play some video or some Flash on the browser, green dots start to appear, like a rain of green dots, and this is happening with the plain VGA Drivers.

If the Mobility Radeon 4200 HD drivers are installed, they will just hang up the computer, stating that the driver failed, and recovered, and sometimes i get a violent gray screen with bars.

So...i think the MOBO and or Inggrated Graphics Card is just ****ed up. =(

Lucky you guys if you live in the US, for us in Argentina a new laptop is actually pretty expensive unless you can overflight it through a friend or something from the US xD

Best Regards, Alan //

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice