1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer just keeps restarting!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Thoraxe2010, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thoraxe2010

Thoraxe2010 Thread Starter

I was defraging my pc one day and everything was running fine, then the power flicked off and on real quick in the house. When I turned my computer back on it started up fine then it would get to the screen where you select the user to log in as, right before that screen it restarts and it just keeps doing that till you turn it off. Is there anything I can do to fix it or if not that at least get all my stuff of the harddrive? Thank you in advance.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

insert the Vista DVD and choose Repair > Startup Repair.

3. Thoraxe2010

Thoraxe2010 Thread Starter

Will that delete everything on my computer? Plus I don't have a vista cd it didn't come with it, do I have to go buy vista just to do that?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

You should be able to order a Vista DVD from your laptop manufacturer for $20-$40.

To get data off your hard drive, download a Linux Live CD like Fedora 14. Boot with it, and you can then browse through your hard drive and copy out data onto a USB memory stick.

The Startup Repair will not touch your data, it fixes problems when Vista doesn't boot right.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

I read somewhere that this Startup Repair may be preinstalled on some PCs. Boot the PC, press and hold F8, a menu should come up. See if there is a repair option.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice