1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my computer keeps beeping and won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeffm4943, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeffm4943

Jeffm4943 Thread Starter

when i turn on the computer, it keeps beeping, without stop. The computer won't start, and nothing appears on the screen.

2. onely

onely

check your ide cables make sure they are connected properly, do you have memory in there?

3. PostCode

PostCode

Count the beeps, to include hi/lo tone. Then, check my web site for possible resolutions. Make sure you note the maker of the BIOS, Phoenix, AMI, Award, etc.. Hope this helps.

4. Whypick1

Whypick1

actually, it's not high-lo tone, it's long-short length of beeping.

5. PostCode

PostCode

Depending on the BIOS, yes, that is correct. With Award BIOS's, a hi/lo beeping is indicative of a improperly seated CPU. Phoenix, which probably has the most extensive set of beep codes, uses a number order in terms of length. Hope this helps.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What I have found, if it keeps beeping, usually video card....try removing and re-inserting. Also, make sure keyboard is attached securely.

7. statetrav

statetrav

I recently had a similiar problem. Beeped when started from a cold start, during beeping I hit the reset button and it fired. After trying to replace the modem card, a new video card, and added memory, ended up being a bad motherboard. Put a new one in (First Computer International would NOT stand behind their mobo) and the system runs fine now. Keep in mind might be a bad mobo......good luck

8. max 8

max 8

My system also starting beeping at boot-up a few weeks ago and it was my memory. I replaced it w/ another stick and system worked.

Good thing Mushkin had excellent customer service. They tested it the same day they received it and shipped a replacement stick that same day too.

9. w_kothlow

w_kothlow

Did you check to see if the RAM is properly seated?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42154