1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'My Computer' keeps closing itself down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcornall, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

Basically, when I open 'my computer' (ie to explore the contents of my pc - that 'my computer') it will normally close itself after a minute or so. It doesn't do that every time, but quite often. When it does shut down, the task bar and start button at the bottom of the screen disappear.

I've tried doing a virus scan but it didn't find anything. I've also noticed that Windows Security Alerts has started telling me that my zonealarm firewall is turned off, even though when I check zonealarm, it all seems to be running correctly.

Not really sure what I can do, so any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks.

2. Sief9

Sief9

Hmm, that sounds like a problem in your "explorer.exe" file. If you don't know what that is, explorer is basically what lets you see everything, like the task bar, icons, tray, and the window that lets you see your files (Like my computer for example).

So I'm not so sure how to fix that, sorry, and it's probably a virus, which virus scanner are you using?

3. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

I use AVG free edition.

4. Sief9

Sief9

Oh okay, well that might no be able to detect it, I'm not sure. I've never used that one. Try using Kaspersky 2009 (Its $40 a year, or just use the 30 day trial) and see if that can detect it. Kaspersky 2009, in my opinion, is the best virus scanned I've ever used.

5. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

Ahh okay - I'll give it a go. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice