My computer keeps rebooting itself, need help asap!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SyCo

Here's my specs:
Asus A7V-133 motherboard
Athlon 1ghz (266) processor
256mb sdram
WesternDigital 20GB (7200) HD
Windows 2000 Pro.
Lately I've been having troubles with my computer rebooting itself at random, no joke. I can either be playing a game, typing a paper, or just loading up IE, and suddenly I'm back at the BIOS startup screen. It began doing this suddenly last month without warning. The only thing I can suspect is that my computer is running too hot, ASUS Probe says it is currently at 141, it averages around 140. Also another problem I experience is that all my downloads are currupt. For example, I will download a 80 meg demo, and midway through installation a CRC error appears, and I know it cannot be the server/file because I've downloaded the same exact file from multiple sites with the same problem, but the error appears at different points of the install process. I even tried to download the latest Star Wars trailer, and 75% through the movie I get a damn error, so it's not just .exe or .zip files. Please help, this is extremely frustrating and any insight will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It really sounds like you need to look at a new cooling soloution, both problems could be related to overheating.
141 is really hot

Either get a new processor heatsink/fan combo or more cooling fans in your case.

SyCo

I know! I'm using the heatsink that came with the processor, but I guess it's not enough. I'm going to take my tower to the store where I got the parts from and see if they can suggest a cooling solution. Thanks for the reply

It does sound like a cooling problem. If you continue to have problems after you upgrade your cooling you may need to replace your processor due to the fact when you over heat the cpu it may damage some of the IC circuitry in the processor itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.