Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My computer keeps restarting

Solved 
1K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  Tanis 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm after some help.

My computer has been acting strange recently and restarting intermittently.

I've ran a few tests but I cannot seem to pin point the issue and wondered if anyone had some insight.

My specs:
GTX Titan X
I7 4770k
16gb ripjaw ram
Msi z97 gaming 7 mb
Psu 750

What I have tried,

- ran prime 95 test on cpu and no restarts
- ran heaven on gpu no restarts
- took the GPU apart and cleaned and applied new thermal paste to chip
- moved RAM into different slots
- checked all the cable connections to all the hardware
- googled everything

Things I've noticed:

- when random restarts occur the screen will go pixilated and freeze
- unable to find a signal on my 2k screen when connected via hdmi to the GPU, only posts on dvi via a dvi cable to a 1080 screen

I'm not sure what else to try or what tests to run but I'm at a loss.

I'm leaning towards either a gpu issue or a psu issue but I wanted to get some help before I start spending money I don't have.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

My first thought, based on your description would be a potential GPU issue.

Can you download and run the TSG System Info Utility (link below in my signature). Copy and paste all the information into a reply.

What is the make and model of the PSU?

Can you download and install the MSI Command Center app
MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

Run it and screenshot any information it provides on voltages etc, post the pic in a reply.

#5 ·
Hi Tanis,

Thanks for the reply I'll have a look when I'm home later from work.

I noticed that when I initially turn it on it freezes before allowing to enter my pin on the password screen and then if I leave it and don't touch it, the screens all go off after about 30 mins. But the computer appears to still be on. It's confusing.

I'll come back with more specs and things later 👍

#3 ·
A very quick and easy way of troubleshooting a video card problem is to pull your video card out and use the onchip video that is part of your processor. See if you get the same freeze and or restart with the onchip video.
If it runs normally, your card is probably failing. I post probably because the problem can also be a pw supply issue. A Titan card uses a LOT of pw whereas the onchip video uses next to nothing.

Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull out the video card. Do not just yank it out; you will break something.

#4 ·
A very quick and easy way of troubleshooting a video card problem is to pull your video card out and use the onchip video that is part of your processor. See if you get the same freeze and or restart with the onchip video.
If it runs normally, your card is probably failing. I post probably because the problem can also be a pw supply issue. A Titan card uses a LOT of pw whereas the onchip video uses next to nothing.

Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull out the video card. Do not just yank it out; you will break something.
Definitely going to try this when I get home!

Thanks for the heads up, I am aware of the correct way to remove the GPU but sound advice for anyone that is unaware.

#9 ·
Correct. To attempt to find out which one, go to the support page for your motherboard;
Overview Z97 GAMING 7 | MSI USA
Download and install command center. Once you have this installed, post a screenshot showing your voltages. Specifically 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT, or Realbench. Note let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize voltages.
I never use msi boards so I am not familiar with the software. Most of these monitoring programs are also overclocking programs. Do not make any changes; just monitor voltages.

#13 ·
Correct. To attempt to find out which one, go to the support page for your motherboard;
Overview Z97 GAMING 7 | MSI USA
Download and install command center. Once you have this installed, post a screenshot showing your voltages. Specifically 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT, or Realbench. Note let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize voltages.
I never use msi boards so I am not familiar with the software. Most of these monitoring programs are also overclocking programs. Do not make any changes; just monitor voltages.
See attached screenshots. NORMAL LOAD (IDLE)
1621073347244.png

1621073371468.png

1621073389225.png

#15 ·
Unfortunately your screenshots are not showing the requested voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V. As I said, I never use msi boards so I am not familiar with the software. It appears that on the voltage readings, you can slide the bar down and that will probably show the needed voltages. If not, you can check with something like hwinfo64 however it is best to use the software designed for your motherboard rather than a third party program.

#23 ·
Well, thanks for the help guys! Super helpful and great site to come and get some advice from, I learnt a lot and have more knowledge myself.

Well, thanks for the help guys! Super helpful and great site to come and get some advice from, I learnt a lot and have more knowledge myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.