1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer keeps shutting down.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tquintana, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

My anti-virus had expired, and i upgraded, but before i could upgrade, it started shutting down any time. Out of no where. (Which happened before but my warranty was still in, and dell came on and fixed the problem but never told me what it was, he fixed in like 15 minutes).
    Well it is happening again, it is Not my power or my fan. Here is the error code i am getting from my log...

WARNING! The speed of processor 1 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 18 seconds since the last report.

AND THEN

ERROR!
    The previous system shutdown at 6:47:22 PM on 10/2/2008 was unexpected.

I have Windows XP Home Basic
    Dell Inspiron 1521
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80 GHz
    Memory 2.00 GB
    32-bit operating system

2. cg2028

cg2028

what, may i ask is the name brand anti-virus you are using?

3. cg2028

cg2028

correction,
    name OF the brand

4. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

i just got the Norton 360, before this, last week, i had the norton internet security

5. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

It started shutting down, before i installed the norton 360 tho.

6. cg2028

cg2028

This may actually be a hardware problem or perhaps its overheating but besides the anti-virus i cannot say that anything else is causing the problem. Is your warranty still active?

7. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

i am thinking it is also a hardware problem, but cant figure out from which. i have removed all new programs that i just installed.
    And i just updated the BIOS. (not sure if it worked yet, so far it hasnt shut down, but dont want to speak to soon). Cant think of what or where else to look, that is why i am asking here.

8. cg2028

cg2028

Have you tried customer support?

9. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

i cant afford to pay anything right now. So far, it hasnt shut down, after downloading the BIOS update, so i am keeping my fingers crossed that it is fixed.

10. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Updating the bios sounds like it solved the main issue. Based on that error message your bios was throttling your cpu speed for some reason, causing you to run out of processing power for your system, hence the shutdown.

If it happens again, take off the side of your case, and point a fan blowing into it. See if that helps the stability at all.

11. tquintana

tquintana Thread Starter

ok, thank you!

12. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I doubt if it is aheating problem. Your Bios update may have fixed it, as it seems, from browsing, that it is an erroneous "error"
    I wouldn't care to open up a laptop, as suggested - it might lead you into even more problems!
    Have a look here. Soe people with the same problem and some possible soolutions, shoul it happen again.
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...pport/287513-solved-random-vista-crashes.html

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice