1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer Keeps Turning On and Off and Now It's Not Turning on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by garson, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garson

garson Thread Starter

Just few hours ago I was listening to songs on Napster. Then I played some online games. I had to reboot at one point since it was going slow on me.

For some reasons unknown, my computer turns off and tried to boot itself, but kept turning off and booted itself.:eek: Somehow it did that in a loop. I tried to wipe up some dirt from inside(it may not be completely wiped up). I even tried to rearrange the cables and such. Now, if I press the power button, it only shows the power indicator, but it won't boot. I'm just puttoping it to rest right now hoping that it would back up tomorrow when I turn it on. :confused::(:mad:

I have Velocity Micro with Windows XP SP3 (update progression). Motherboard: ASUS. I posted this using my laptop. I appreciate any help or input.

Thanks,
    G.

2. SimonE1

SimonE1

Garson,

Sounds like the power supply and/or motherboard have decided to give up. The powering on and off could be down to the power supply and trying to wipe up dirt from inside may have exposed your motherboard to ESD causing the computer not to power on at all. Try and check it with a different power supply if possible.

hth, :)

OCSE*

3. garson

garson Thread Starter

At one point, I tried to plug it in at a different out and it was confusing to me that it did try to boot. BUT the power supply that I use (I use extension cord with modem and speakers, they work). Later on last night, I tried try to plug in my computer at a different power outlet, it did not work.

OK, to be clear, I tried different things including plugging it in at a different outlet actually more than once. I use surge protector and it doesn't seem to have any problem where I normally plug in my computer. The modem and the speaker use the same surge protector and they work fine.

G.

4. SimonE1

SimonE1

Garson,

Can I confirm that this a PC not a laptop? If it is a PC - you should try connecting another power supply. If it is a laptop - take the battery out and plug the power adaptor in and then try powering on your laptop <-- If this doesn't work there is a problem with your motherboard and you will need a new one

5. vicks

vicks

The power supply is built into the computer, not just the connecting cord.
    When you "clean" the inside of a tower, use compressed air to blow the dirt out, not 'wipe' it out...
    It is quite easy to do something to loosen a connection....
    vicks

6. SimonE1

SimonE1

I am aware the power supply is built in but you can disconnect it and put a new one in (I am an IT Workshop Manager). See here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362

OCSE*

7. vicks

vicks

Simon,
    My comment is for the original poster not questioning your posts.
    Vicks

8. SimonE1

SimonE1

Apologies

OCSE*

9. vicks

vicks

Accepted....Happy Computing (y)

10. itsjusme

itsjusme

As already mentioned, always use compressed air to blow the dust out of the computer/power supply. Trying to wipe or brush it out, or using a vacuum can dislodge or disturb connectors to where they may not make good contact. If you don`t have access to a compressor, you can buy canned compressed air for this purpose at Radio Shack/Walmart, most computer/electronics stores, or similar. It`s possible you disturbed a connector that is keeping it from at least trying to boot as it was before you cleaned it. Double check to see that there are no wires/connectors unplugged. Shut down the computer unplug the power cord, then disconnect and reconnect all the connectors inside and make sure they are latched in firmly. Power it back up and see what happens. Since you`ve already tried plugging the power cord into a different outlet, and other devices work plugged into the same outlet/surge protector, if it still does the same try another power supply if possible.

11. garson

garson Thread Starter

I was going back and forth on the weekend. I thought I am going to have to figure out myself a little bit more when I saw no responses.

Thanks for any responses so far and I will respond to each one of you following this.

G.

12. garson

garson Thread Starter

I USE a laptop when I replied to this. Do people deal with MOTHERBOARD on a laptop? I don't know. At least I have something to use.

I have not been able to turn on the PC, which I bought 7 years ago. I haven't tried it today.

G.

13. garson

garson Thread Starter

Compressed air - I don't have any experience on this and will look into this.

Well, the PC is like dead. Just now, I tried to turn it on. It only showed the green light indicator. It won't boot. So, I will have to learn and look into parts.

Thanks,
    G.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice