Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My computer locks up every 45 minutes with no BSOD or relevant event log info

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 · (Edited)
Issue - computer locks up with only the mouse working every 40-45 minutes. I have to do a cold reboot to get the system up again. If I run the computer for 20 minutes and then shut down, let it sit, then start up again, it will crash in 20. Seems time dependent rather than heat or activity based. The issue occurs when browsing the internet, watching video, playing games, or just being in screensaver. No blue screen error. No information in the event logs. Has been happening for a month. No big changes to the system before it started.

Running Windows 10. i7-2600K CPU. 16GB Ram. OS on 200GB SSD. Secondary hard drive is conventional WD 1TB. Nvidia GTX 970. Computer is about 4-5 years old. It is a desktop purchased from a local computer dealer. No make/model available.

When the crash happens, nothing is written to the event log or to the memdump file of use. It just lists that the computer has been restarted with a cold boot.

I ran memtest86 - no issues. Also ran HD Tune Pro - no issue found with the SSD. It says read failure/1 unstable sector for the secondary drive. The Western Digital tool finds 1 bad sector on the secondary drive, but SMART status is PASS. Quick Test fails - failed read test element. Windows ChkDsk cannot see the issue with the secondary drive.

Updated drivers for video card and sound card. Motherboard bios are up to date.

Unplugging the secondary hard drive does not fix the issue. All fans are working.

Yesterday I did a Windows 10 reset. The problem is still happening.

Is there anything else I can try to identify the source of the issue? Thank you for the support.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Running Windows 10. i7-2600K CPU. 16GB Ram. OS on 200GB SSD. Secondary hard drive is conventional WD 1TB. Nvidia GTX 970. Computer is about 4-5 years old. It is a desktop purchased from a local computer dealer. No make/model available.
According to the hardware that's in your computer, it appears to be using over 300 watts of power.

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply inside your computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.