1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer overheats and shuts itself off...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abcme, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abcme

abcme Thread Starter

ok.. i'm guessing that the psu is what my power cord plugs to...

My psu heats up significantly... so when i have my comp on for longer than 30 mins it heats up so much that my comp turns off by itself, and a red led on my motherboard lights up.....

the more apps I run, the faster my comp overheats. HELP!!!

also, when I turn my comp off, my optical mouse sometimes stays lit... or my keyboard's num lock stays on. it's really weird.

just a side note, my comp doesn't overheat in the winter for obvious reasons =P the casing of my comp is also removed to keep it cooler... but that's not good enough now.

2. dking63

dking63

Sounds like a bad PSU to me.

3. SepiasSoul

SepiasSoul

I would download a program called Motherboard Monitor, you can find it here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311
    You need to know the make and model of your motherboard, but this porgram can tell you what the temps are, but I agree that it sounds like the PSU. I wouldn't open the case up though. Many cases are designed for maximum air flow over vital components and running it open can cause these areas to not get enough air. How hot is the PSU getting? Mine gets hot to the touch, but it is suppose to due to the large transformer in the unit and the converting of AC signals into DC. The PSU on my pc sit at around 120-140 depending on how hard I'm pushing it, and under full load the ambient temp in my pc hits about 135.

4. abcme

abcme Thread Starter

my motherboard is a Shuttle sn45g and it seems that motherboard monitor doesn't support it.

my psu gets very hot, so does my comps main fan on the back. Almost to the point that I have to remove my fingers when I touch them.

i'll try putting my case on, never knew that it mattered.

*edit*

5. Khawaja

Khawaja

change ur processor HeatSink,

6. jenisbro

jenisbro

How old is your computer? that could have a lot to do with it, depending on the age, the psu has probably collected quite a bit of dust. my advice woud be to take the psu out, take it apart, (is usually fairly simple.. 4 to 6 screws, and open!) and blow it out with an air compresser. I clean all of my major components (Heatsinks, Fans, PSU, etc.) one to three times a month

7. jenisbro

jenisbro

If you have the room, i reccomend getting more fans, my computer currently has 8:)

8. erkansus

erkansus

um i would recomend taking a can of compressed air and cleaning your gpu, psu, heatsink, and case fans with it. they can be bought at most any hardware stores and all you gotta do is spray the can on the blades of the fan lightly and the caked on dust should come right off. i think i read somewhere were it said dust retains heat and slows the fans down so clearing this dust will definetly help also it might help if you get more fans newegg.com has some great deal like this one were you can get 10 fans for like 14 bucks or something

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835150007

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice