1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imblueeyes2, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imblueeyes2

imblueeyes2 Thread Starter

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. imblueeyes2

imblueeyes2 Thread Starter

gonna take it to work an see if it works on that puter. will have an answer tomorrow.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice