1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer says I don't have Anti Virus but I think I do

Discussion in 'General Security' started by VistaMachine, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VistaMachine

VistaMachine Thread Starter

Recently my computer has been having problems and I will post those in the Virus and Malware forums but I have a question about Anti-Virus.

In a recent OIT class at my college the teacher told us about Microsoft Security Essentials being free. I am a college student and my computer had not had Anti-Virus on it(I know I am stupid, but I thought I had it) so I jumped on Microsoft Security Essentials since it was free. I downloaded it and have felt a little more secure knowing that I had it. But yesterday I got a pop up balloon on my taskbar that said "Your Computer Has some Security Concerns" or somthing like that, I click the balloon to go to Security Center and it said I had no Virus Protection and no Spyware and Malware Protection. But when I click on Security Essentials it said I was protected? I have set SE to run a virus scan everyday and check for virus definitions around noon since I know my computer will be on at noon almost everyday.

Today I got the same message from Security Center saying "You computer has some security concerns" but when I click on Security Center it shows all the lights as green and it says Security Essentials reports that it is up to date and virus scan is running. I just ran a Virus definitions update in Security Essentials and a full scan of my computer using SE and it said all virus definitions are up to date and it didn't find any infected files. That was a little less than a hour ago.

I am really confused. Do I not have Anti-Virus? When I did the TSG SysInfo link it says I have no Anti-Virus but I have Security Essentials on my computer.

I know I don't have two anti-virus programs running on my computer. I used to have Norton but I uninstalled it, because it never would run scans for me, it kept wanting me to buy the full Norton program or whatever it is and it was nowhere to be found when I downloaded SE about three months ago, I made sure of that. (Or at least I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer after I hit Uninstall).

Please help this computer noob out.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I get exactly the same thing with MSE. I think that it is simply that the MSE executable loads a little after the initial security check, so the warning comes up before MSE loads.

If you are nervous about this there are other free AVs that you could consider instead, such as Avira and Avast. However I'd be inclined to just leave this as is for the moment, since the warnings sort themselves out.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ent brought out a good point. When you first start your computer, the MSSE taskbar icon will show red before it turns green, so the Security Center may briefly detect your computer as not being protected.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - Startup(tab). There should be a checked entry with the name msseces or something relating to MSSE. Click Cancel to close the window.

Click Start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK. There should be an entry with the name Microsoft Antimalware Service. It should show a status of "Started - Automatic".

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. VistaMachine

Thanks, today it seems to be running fine. I got the same balloon but after trying what Flavallee suggested it said all is started and running. So that means I do have anti-virus right and it is running? The closest thing I could find when I did the MSCONFIG was Microsoft Security Client is that what I am supposed to find? The Microsoft Antimalware Service shows that it is starting automatically so I feel good knowing that.

I was just alarmed because two days ago was the first time the little balloon about security concerns popped up in the whole three months I have been using SE, and it has been happening ever since.

I forgot to say Merry Christmas :)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're good. (y)

Microsoft Security Client is checked.

Microsoft Antimalware Service is on Automatic and is started.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. VistaMachine

Thanks for the help.

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Your MSE probably automatically updated to version 2. I also only noticed the problem when V 2 arrived. I'm sure there'll be a fix in time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice