1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer seems to access the harddrive a lot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Lately every time I access a web page, or do anything on my computer
    I hear my hard dirve beating little drums all the time. This might be the
    reason my computer is slowing down. I have done a defrag so I know that is not the problem. I am using XP. Is there something else I can do to speed things
    up?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Disable as many startup things as you can in MSCONFIG that don't need to be running all the time. Add more RAM if its not at a GIG or more already. Uninstall any programs you are no longer using or have never used. Run the disk cleanup utility for the drive and get rid of all temp and temporary internet files and the like. If using another browser, clear all those associated caches as well and shrink them down so they can't get so big in the first place.

Then, run defrag one more time, restart and see if that helps a lot or a little.

If you've been using the drive with the current installation of XP for a long time, sometimes the only good solution is to reinstall the OS fresh.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide:
    version of Windows & service pack;
    RIGHT click "my computer" / "computer";
    left click "properties"

If OEM, which brand & model? If not OEM:
    motherboard brand & model
    cpu
    ram: speed, MB / GB, type, brand
    drives: IDE / SATA / SATA 2; brand / model / capacity; type [ FDD, HDD, optical ];

To paraphrase another TGF member: We are brilliant but not clairvoyant.

When you notice the HDD being accessed, right click a blank spot on the task bar.
    Left click "task manager"
    Go to "processes" tab
    left click "CPU" header until the 90 in CPU is above 0
    Note, in rght column, the process that is utilizing the HDD.

When did the problem begin? After installing / removing hardware / software; updates to Windows, antivirus, antispyware, etc?

Which antivirus & antispyware programs are you running? Have you had any other unusual computer activity?

backup your data
    open "my computer"
    right click your "C:" drive
    left click "properties"
    "hardware" tab
    error checking area
    click "check now" button
    put checks in each box
    OK
    you will be advised that error checking needs exclusive access to your HDD and will ask if you want to schedule check at next reboot.
    "yes"
    Close all
    Reboot

after error checking
    start > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    OK

maximize screen
    In applications [ could be "system" ] look for winlogon event
    open, on right side by "right clicking"; left click "properties"
    On right, left click button with 2 pieces of paper, which will copy event information to your PC's clip board

return to this thread.
    paste information into composition area.

Best of success.

RF123

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    muckmail:

Please answer these questions:

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your computer?

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. What's listed for the type and speed of the processor, and what's listed for the amount of RAM?

Double-click MY COMPUTER, right-click the C icon, then click Properties. What's listed for the hard drive size and the amount of free space?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup" tab. How many entries have a checkmark?
    Click Cancel to close the window so you're not prompted to restart.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice