1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer Shuts Down When I tell it to Sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrSnarpy, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrSnarpy

MrSnarpy Thread Starter

Okay so for a few months now my computer has been shutting down when I tell it to sleep. Not only that but it takes a long time to do it. About ten mins after the shutdown process starts for it to actually shut down.

Also, sometimes my computer will freeze when I start it up before it makes it to my desktop. To fix this usually unpluging my usb's then restarting does the trick. I don't like that though.

I've ran many antivirus software's and it found a few things and removed them but I don't know if I still have a virus or not because it hasn't fixed my problem.

My pc is custom built. Not by me though, my old roommate did it for me about 9-10 months ago. And it was fine up until this problem started to occur.

I'm on windows 8.

I'm not sure if I did or not but I was trying to move some things from my ssd to my hd and I hope i didn't delete a file or something I wasn't supposed too. Cause if I did I don't know what one it would be. :/

Thanks in advance. By the way try to talk to me like I have no knowledge of computers because I really don't.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What USB's are you using?
    Include make and model of each device!

3. MrSnarpy

MrSnarpy Thread Starter

Well sometimes my headset, my printer and/or a few memory sticks with school work files on them.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    For me, I never leave any USB thumb drives (memory sticks) connected when not in use. The same goes for most USB hard drives. There are some issues with some USB hard drives that will not allow a machine to startup if they are connected.

You will find that when a machine is put to sleep, it must copy everything that is open to a temp area of the hard drive, then when waking up the reverse must be done. So, the more items that open and/or running it is going to take longer.

Also NOTE that copying from and to a USB is much slower than the built in drive. Yes, Sleep will need to copy the open files from the USB drives to this temp area on the hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice