1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer starts and then quits!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by _Peter_, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. _Peter_

_Peter_ Thread Starter

I have a windows xp professional computer which is a couple years old. The computer starts up, everything seems fine and right beofre the login screen loads it shuts down. It used to just restart the computer over and over again but now it just turns off completely. This happened once a couple months ago but it started working after a couple days, and everything was working fine. I don't want to lose all my files and I want it to work again! any tips!? help!:(

2. techychick

techychick

3. _Peter_

_Peter_ Thread Starter

I tried that and while all the files were loading it shutdown. Now when I restart it it runs for about 10 seconds with a black screen and then shuts down.

4. techychick

techychick

Do you hear any system beeps when you start it? Also try reseating the memory (they can also sometimes jar loose)...

5. _Peter_

_Peter_ Thread Starter

I fixed it! I opened it up and took apart the second fan, I'd never cleaned it because I didn't know it existed until I opened it up for the first time yesterday! The metal part had gotten so hot it started to melt! The dust was clogging it up. I took it apart, and used an air compressor to blow it out. I put it back together, and now it works great :) Thanks for all your help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758163