1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my computer starts up but then the screen turns black after 2 seconds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by misslouie05, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misslouie05

misslouie05 Thread Starter

Ok can anybody please help me to figure out how to get my monitor to stop blinking off after 2 seconds. Wht i mean is just 2weeks ago if i turn on my computer it will load but at start up the screen will turn black after to seconds. Meaning i can hear everything in the background i just cant see anything b/c the monitor blinks out and the only way to see the display i would have to hit the power swicth on the monitor on and off every 2 seconds b/c thats how long the display lasts....someone please help b/c i just recently bought this monitor in 2009 b/c the original monitor that came with my 2006 computer went out.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Try booting to Safe Mode that is F8 key, immediately after post screen. Then select Safe Mode

3. misslouie05

I have done that twice but still same problem. I have been told it could be the backlight in the monitor or heating issue.

4. Macboatmaster

There was no mention of you having tried Safe Mode in your post.
    Please list what you have tried to save time, rather than establishing this post by post

5. misslouie05

Well other than that i have checked my vga cables to make sure they aren't defective and i i have checked screen on different computer.

6. Macboatmaster

I presume from what you say this is desktop. Is that correct please.
    If so and it works on another computer, one may presume that the monitor is NOT faulty.
    When you connected the monitor to another computer did you use the same cable, or the one from the other computer please.

Will this computer boot to the CD and recovery console

7. misslouie05

I used the other computers cable and yes this is an desktop computer. I am not sure if it would boot to cd or recovery console but i sure will try and if you have any other suggestions please do tell that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

8. Macboatmaster

1. Use the other computers monitor cable on this one and the other way round.
    2. If you have this option on F8 try this
    Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice