1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer takes a long time to find drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by masteroc, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masteroc

masteroc Thread Starter

Hi,

I have windows XP SP2 on my pc. It is a 2.8E Pentium 4 with 2gb of memory. SATA drive and 2 IDE DVD-ROM/RW. My problem is, when i click on My Computer the window comes up, but in the middle is a little flash light that goes back and forth for about 1 to 2 mins before it finds the drives that i have. What could be causing this. I have defraged all the drives, turned indexing off, then back on, neither had any effect, i have removed all network drives and printers. Can you please help, it is very annoying and time consuming.

Thanks

P.S. If i type in the address bar c:\, it will go to that drive without the flashlight thing. And then if i go back the flashlight is still there.
    Also, even if i let the flashlight thing finish and then got to c:\ and then click bacl to my computer, it will come up with that flashlight again.

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Welcome to TSG! :) I hope I can assist you with this problem.

What operating system is this? XP Home or Pro?

Run the following troubleshooting tests:

Test A

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on System
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device Manager

Question: Is the Device Manager window populated or empty?

Test B

Right-click on any file or folder on your desktop
    Hover over "Send To"

Question: Does your computer seem to "freeze" for about 30 seconds and then the Send To list appears?

Test C

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Network Connections

Question: Is the Network Connections area empty or populated?

Test D

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Add/Remove Programs

Question: Do you see any suspicious entries, specifically ContextPlus?

Test E

Question: Do you still have full USB port functionality with printers, cameras, gamepads, etc.? If you plug in/ unplug a device like a USB memory key if you have one, do you get a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray?

Please run these tests and let me know the results...

3. masteroc

masteroc Thread Starter

i have xp pro, and when i click on send file, my computer does freeze for about 30 secs

4. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Try the suggestions in this link just to be on the safe side before we continue. You never mentioned an empty device manager, although that is also a common symptom with the delay at My Computer/Send To.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

If it doesn't work, you could be infected with Apropos. But the main way I know how to solve it (using aproposfix.exe) has a much higher success rate in XP Home than XP Pro for some odd reason.

I will provide you with the steps to remove the malware if the Microsoft link doesn't help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice