My computer will turn on but will not show a display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gkbabbitt

I woke up yesterday and turned on my PC and it turned on like usual but the display would not load and the monitor would just fall asleep 10 seconds after I turned on the PC.

I have an HP pavilion desktop and it has an integrated graphics card that I use because I didn't have the money for a dedicated graphics card at the time, but I believe that is what has crashed on my PC, but I don't really know how to fix it.

I have hooked it up to another monitor and still got nothing. I also tried taking out the CMOS and letting it sit for five minutes in hopes to reset to factory settings but still nothing. I also switched my RAM into different slots but no luck there.

Any other suggestions on what I can do? Also if I was to buy a graphics card to put into my PC would that fix the problem? Thanks in advance

are any keyboard/ mouse led lights turning on? if not try moving around the ram to different slots again. the same thing happened to me when i messed with the ram so i moved it into different slots and it worked again. this also might be a psu issue you might need to get a new one

Gkbabbitt

are any keyboard/ mouse led lights turning on? if not try moving around the ram to different slots
I already said I tried and moving the RAM with no luck. Just tried again and nothing.
But yes the mouse and the keyboard are still lit up when I turn on the computer.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Do the Caps/Num/Scroll lock LEDS light up briefly, go out, then the Num Lock come on steady? Do you get any beeps? Do the fans run?

Gkbabbitt

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Do the Caps/Num/Scroll lock LEDS light up briefly, go out, then the Num Lock come on steady? Do you get any beeps? Do the fans run?
All the LED work, no beeps and the fans work.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you pull all the RAM, do you get a beep code? What about putting one in at a time?

crjdriver

It is possible you have had a video chip fail however the first thing I would suspect would be the pw supply. Post the exact model of hp.
Just because you see fans spin or LEDs does not mean the pw supply works; it is very possible to have one rail fail and the other two work. Next I would suspect the motherboard. Depending on what hp you have, the video may be part of the mb OR it may be part of the cpu. More modern systems have the video as part of the cpu rather than on the mb.

Gkbabbitt

If you pull all the RAM, do you get a beep code? What about putting one in at a time?
When I pull out the RAM I get no beeps. And I only have one stick of RAM so I can only put it in one at a time.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As crjdriver indicated, it could be the power supply, however my guess is more likely the motherboard. As he said, the video could be in the CPU, but if you don't even get a beep error code with no RAM installed, my vote goes to motherboard. Just a guess ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts