1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my computer wont boot and nothing shows on screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shiroma, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

my computer wont boot and nothing shows on screen
    today i plugged in my calculator into my computer for the first time and then computer froze and shutoff. when i try to turn it back on, nothing comes up on the screen and all the fans go all the way up. so far i have tried removing and replacing the: power supply, ram, hard drives, cd drives with working parts from my other computer. i have also taken all of the drives out so only the ram and cpu is plugged in. i have taken it out of the case too.everytime i turn it on it does the same thing.i didnt put the speaker in it because i dont know where to connect it to. can it be related to the calculator i plugged in? can i fix it or do i have to buy new parts.

2. norton850

norton850

Just reading what you've tried so far. Some ideas
    Do you have onboard video or a separate card?
    The problem is rarely the monitor but have you eliminated that?
    Tried resetting CMOS?

3. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

yes it is onboard video and i have tried resetting cmos
    i tried a different monitor but it still didnt work

4. KingCody

KingCody

does it even get to the post screen?

when you say you "tried resetting CMOS", did you:
    1. disconnect power to the mobo?
    2. remove CMOS battery?
    3. move jumper to "clear" position for 1 minute?

then move jumper back, reinsert battery, reconnect power? if you only did one or two of those three steps, then chances are you did not clear CMOS

5. norton850

norton850

I guess what I see left is trying a separate video card (usually for testing purposes a cheap PCI card is a good choice). Motherboard? CPU? Not sure what the calculator had to do with this.

6. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

it does not get to the post screen
    i also did all of the things that you listed

7. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

i dont have a pci video card and i dont have any motherboards that im not using and i also dont have another socket 478 cpu thanks for all your help so far. is ther any hope for my computer or should i just buy new parts

8. norton850

norton850

That's what I see is left. I know it's frustrating when your system won't work, but hang in there. There will be more people on line tomorrow hopefully with other ideas.

9. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

thanks for your help if it want for you and kingcody the computer would have been in the trash. i will look tomarow to

10. norton850

norton850

Good Luck!

11. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

how can i know if it is the mother board or the processor? or both?its an hp

12. norton850

norton850

Difficult to answer. Statistically the MB would be more likely. Usually the MB looks fine sometimes you will see problems with capacitors either bulging or leaking. Beyond that it's just trying replacements. You've been trying things from another system can you do the same with the CPU?

13. shiroma

shiroma Thread Starter

the motherboard is from hp so i dont think i can get a new one it is a msi ms-6577. i dont have another processor that has the same socket. do you think its dead

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice