Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"My Computer" won't load, Disappearing Icons, & "Arrange By" option won't work. Help?

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I am trying to rebuild by search index because my computer won't let me arrange items using the "Arrange By" option... However, when I try and load my indexing options to rebuild the index it will sit there and say "Waiting to receive indexing status". If I click the "Advanced" button it will freeze... I also receive an icon and loading display problem SEE PIC#1. Also when I click on "My Computer" it sometimes will sit there searching and it won't load. SEE PIC#2

I have tried the following:
1. Restarting the "Windows Search" service multiple times at different boots.
2. Deleting the files contained in the folder "C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR\". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484025
3. Stopping the "Windows Search" service then I opened up "regedit". I went to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSearch, SetupCompletedSuccessfully" I changed the value from a 0 to a 1. Then I rebooted my PC. I then went back to the same key and changed it back to a 0 and rebooted my PC again.
4. Turning the "indexing service" on and off from the "Turn Windows Features on or off" menu.
5. Microsoft Fixit Indexing Troubleshooter
6. Sfc /scannow
7. Tried this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977380
8. Tried another user account and creating a new user account
9. Tried resetting folder view to "defaults" http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15692-folder-view-settings-reset-all-default.html
I really need ALL of these problems fixed... They obviously all come from one issue but the only problem is idk how to fix it =( Please help!

Also I know for a fact a "repair" will NOT work so didn't even suggest it because this problem popped up because I repair installed my computer (The "Arrange By" option just doesn't work so maybe the registry has a key that can be edited to fix this that is disable by default)... Thanks

PS: I am sorting by name, grouping by (none), and below is a screenshot of what happens when I change the "Arrange By" option to arrange by song. As you can see nothing changes it still arranges by folder... SEE PIC#3
Also note in the picture "song" is highlighted but I already left-clicked it...

PSS: I only only experienced the file display/disappearing and loading issues when I deleted the files located in the TxR folder to fix the arrange by issue. I forgot to mention that I noticed in my Event Viewer that there were some logs that kept appearing that might pertain to the issue. Here is a list of the logs that I think appear the most often:

1. Error Event ID 7006 Service Control Manager: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
Access is denied.

2. Error Event ID 2 Kernel-EventTracing: Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

3. Error Event ID 7001 Service Control Manager: The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

4. Error Event ID 10 WMI: Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

5. Error Event ID 10010 DistributedCOM: The server {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

NOTE FOR THIS EVENT ID ERROR THAT THE NUMBERS IN THE BRACKETS "{ }"SEEM TO CHANGE.

PSSS: There appears to be ALOT of Service Control Manager Event ID errors. SEE PIC#4

Please note I will be away until May 18th 2013 so I will not respond to this thread after today until then... So please respond quickly or I will get back to you on May 18th. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Radical924

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. Your original post before you edited it said that this was the fourth post as the others were not replied to.
I apologise if previous topics you started on this problem have been missed.
Purely due to the amount of requests for help - the occasional one does get missed.
However what confuses me is that there is no record of any other posts by you and in fact you are shown as only joining us at Tech Support Guy today.

3. Now to the problem
PSS: I only only experienced the file display/disappearing and loading issues when I deleted the files located in the TxR folder
YOU DID delete ONLY the files with the .BLF and .REGTRANS-MS extension in the folder

C:\windows\system32\config\TxR

I presume, or is there any chance you did not see this and deleted others.

4. IN view of the problem with the arrange in the Libraries
Would you please go not to the Library, using arrange but to My Pictures in Users and open that and then right click and use Sort By
Please see if that will work.

5. It may help if you could tell us why
Also I know for a fact a "repair" will NOT work so didn't even suggest it because this problem popped up because I repair installed my computer
the repair was necessary.

Tried another user account and creating a new user account
IN view of the problem existing on a new user account, I feel at the moment, with all of the problems taken together you should run a full chkdsk
That is of course
chkdsk /r

from a cmd prompt with admin rights.
reboot and obtain the report when it has completed and returned to Windows from Event Viewer.

#3 ·
1. Thank you for welcoming me to the support forums. I really do appreciate the help!

2. I posted this on other forum sites before so I copied my post and didn't realize I had the thing where it said I posted it four times.. my bad that is why I edited it out.

3. Yeah I did only delete the files with the .BLF and .REGTRANS-MS extensions; in fact, all files in this folder had those extensions.

4. Okay I went into "My Pictures" by clicking on "My Computer", then I went into C:\Users\MyUsername\Pictures. From there I right clicked and noticed the "Arrange By" Option was missing all together... However, the sort by option did work (As it always has). Also note if I click on "My Pictures" via the libraries tab the arrange by option will be there and so will the sort by option. The sort by option will work and the arrange by option obviously doesn't work (Which I need to work).

5. Yeah I repair installed my computer to fix other problems so I know that it will not fix this problem because the "Arrange By" problem appeared due to me repair installing.

6. EDIT: I just tried creating a new user account again just to see and it was stuck at creating personalized settings it also won't let me delete the temporary account ; it froze on the page that deletes the accounts (I had to delete it via "My Computer"... because if I clicked manage accounts it would freeze trying to load the page with that account on it). Sooo I will Try a Check Disk and then will post the report via Event Viewer... I am going to assume I don't need to use a Command Prompt command to make the report; the report will be in my Event Viewer.

#4 ·
1. OK will wait to hear from you.

2. It is not arrange by in My pictures, that is in the Library.
It is
then right click and use Sort By
Please see if that will work.
which I see you used, there is no arrange by on right click in Users, My Pictures

3. Re event viewer
expand Windows logs on left pane
click application log on left pane
when that log loads
click find right pane
type
Wininit
check that it is the one you have just run
open it
click copy
paste to reply please

OR YOU MAY click on the heading of the column source and that will sort them in order, then scroll to the wininit entries and find it that way

4. What I meant by
It may help if you could tell us why
was WHAT was the problem that made the repair installation necessary - please

#5 ·
1. Okay the reason I needed to repair install my computer was because I was having issues with my movies showing up in Windows Media Center on multiple profiles on my PC and streaming to the xbox (you can view one of the threads here: Seven Forums. I was also getting some music in slow-mo when streaming to my xbox (this issue is still present and I was hoping to resolve it once I got the arrange-by issue fixed by batch converting the music files whilw my music is arranged by song so there are no folders [also to free up space using VBR]). Oh and I gained 20GB of space when I put everything back to normal meaning there were 20gb of useless files somewhere in my system.

2. Here is the Event Viewer log for my checkdisk:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 5/6/2013 7:52:40 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: BRANDON-PC
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is eMachines.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
677376 file records processed.

File verification completed.
6881 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

140 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
766888 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
677376 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
44757 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37380656 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
677360 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
1775448 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

610347007 KB total disk space.
602273504 KB in 257006 files.
170672 KB in 44758 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
801039 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
7101792 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
152586751 total allocation units on disk.
1775448 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 56 0a 00 cc 9a 04 00 f5 35 08 00 00 00 00 00 .V.......5......
71 c8 00 00 8c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 q...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-07T02:52:40.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>299223</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>BRANDON-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is eMachines.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
677376 file records processed.

File verification completed.
6881 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

140 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
766888 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
677376 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1918 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
44757 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37380656 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
677360 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
1775448 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

610347007 KB total disk space.
602273504 KB in 257006 files.
170672 KB in 44758 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
801039 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
7101792 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
152586751 total allocation units on disk.
1775448 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 56 0a 00 cc 9a 04 00 f5 35 08 00 00 00 00 00 .V.......5......
71 c8 00 00 8c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 q...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

</EventData>
</Event>

#6 ·
Well there is nothing wrong showing with chkdsk results.

You have covered the registry key for Windows search completed successfully, you have set the start type automatic
in services, BUT have you also checked the Indexing service and the dependency
RPC

#8 ·
1. From the chkdsk results
I do not know the time difference, where you are located but please verify the time is correct
Chkdsk run
Date: 5/6/2013 7:52:40 PM
6 May 7.52pm

as I requested you run it
7 May 12.02am

2. Please try the system account see if things are the same
cmd prompt
admin rights
type
net user administrator /active:yes

press enter
type
exit
press enter to close cmd prompt window

#10 ·
Well I do not expect you will be happy with this opinion, but my evaluation of the situation is this.

1. It can take some time to load the system admin account. However if it really did hang and was not going to progress then it appears that the profile for that account is in some way corrupted - the registry

2. That together with the original problems, leads me to believe that the situation will not be resolved without a reinstall of windows, as you have already tried, you say the Windows 7 equivalent of a repair install
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

3. I do recommend that you back up all possible data - whether or not you decide to proceed

4. I presume the chkdsk results are at the right time - with the time difference wherever you are

5. I do not think you have mentioned it in your opening post, but I would run a system file check
on sfc /scannow

NOT that I expect it to solve the problems, but it is I think worthwhile.

#11 ·
Yeah unfortunately I did already try sfc/ scannow... I was really hoping for a registry modifying solution since like you said it probably has something to do with the registry... I can deal with the annoying display issues but what I can't deal with is the fact that I can't use the "arrange by" feature. I know I have said this before but I'll say it again. Is there a way for me to modify the registry to turn on the arrange by feature?and if so how? Other than that I guess I will have to deal with these issues until I someday can afford a new PC. Thank you for trying and hopefully you might find some other solution. Thank you!

#12 ·
I am sure it has - to do with the registry
What I do not know, is how to to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.