1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer wont start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by APSracer510, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. APSracer510

APSracer510 Thread Starter

I have a virus in my computer and now it doesnt want to start up. I have a compaq 5423us and its running on windows xp. is there anyways i can reset the hard drive even if it doesnt start up? or atleast get it back to work

2. norton850

norton850

Does this mean that you flip the switch and nothing happens or something else? :confused:

3. APSracer510

well it lights up and everything but nothing shows on the screen.. before this happened my computer went blank with just gray screenand just the mouse cursor showing

4. norton850

norton850

I don't know if your system has a separate video card but if it does try reseating it. Do the same for the RAM. Although it sounds like something no longer is functioning.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you tap F8 after pushing power button and get into safe mode? Or choose last known configuration?

6. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

Doesn’t sound like a virus.

I would still expect to see POST.

7. APSracer510

ive tried reseating everything and even tried hooking it on my new monitor but still nothing happens .... the keyboard wont even light up.... and the hard disk activity light stays on and thats it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!