1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3wheeler, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3wheeler

3wheeler Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have a 5 year old machine, a gateway, with an Intel Pentium 4 - 3GHz. Windows XP Pro SP3.

Here's the problem: A few days ago, I noticed that my computer was off, when I thought I had put it on "stand by", but then it started normally when I pushed the button. This happened a few times, then I noticed the clock was off by an hour. And then it wouldn't turn on at all, I checked that it was getting power, and it was, I plugged it back in, pressed the button and it booted up normally.

OK so I thought the battery was on its last leg, so I replaced it. I thought the problem was solved, but it isn't. With the box open, and the power on, I noticed a very high pitched sound maybe coming from the motherboard (I can't be sure). there is this green LED on the motherboard, and the only way to start the computer is to disconnect the power for a few seconds (until the green LED goes off) and then reconnect the power and push the button.

So I wonder if I should replace the motherboard or the power supply. I ran a benchmark with the CPU at 100% for ten minutes and everything stayed cool (thanks to the 13.5 Cm. cooling fan) and the voltages stayed normal, so I don't think its the power supply.

Is there any other way to diagnose this problem? I know the power supply is usually the first suspect, but the on/off switch goes to the motherboard, so it controls the PSU.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Aloha

2. bloto21

bloto21

power supply even when it keep voltage. change battery on motherboard the clock after replacing should stay at all time. Why power supply?? tell me the brand. check brand and google feedback about it propably is the cheapest one

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

I would try & see if you can get hold of a power supply to make a test? If it is the power supply that would be better than changing the board. You would have to get same board to id everthing.

4. 3wheeler

3wheeler Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I still don't know exactly what the problem was, but I got it fixed I think. It cost me though, trial and error got me there. Here is what I did:

1st.: Replaced the on board battery, that didn't solve the problem, the computer wouldn't power up. but I noticed the fans tryed to turn, but just barely moved.

2nd. Replaced the power supply, I splurged and upgraded to a 500 W model, but still no luck.

3rd. Replaced the Mother Board, thinking that the moterboard signals the power supply to turn on, but still nothing.

4th. Replaced the CPU, of course they don't make pentium 4s anymore but I was able to find a used one. Still no power. OK Well... There might be a short of some kind kicking off the circuit breaker, so I tried unplugging all extra stuff, DVD drives, Floppy drive, card reader, I even swaped the hard disk for an old one, but still no power.

Last, And you would never have guessed it, I removed 2 of my RAM sticks, pressed the button and CHAZAM, it started,

What an ordeal, now I have enough spare parts to build another unit for my son, LOL.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808166