my connection speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chevelle

Ok, I'm going to cut to the chase. My connection speed is only going at 40.0 dling speed at most. Now my friend who lives 3-4 blocks away from is getting much better signal than me. He's getting at lowest, 120.0 kb/s. Now the F*** up part about is that we're both using the same ISP's. So what the F? Excuse my language ,but does anybody out there know how to improve their DSL signal?

p.s forgot to mention, that SBC Yahoo had to come to my house and do something with my phone line at the backyard. Could they intentionally make my signal bad? feedback pls.

Del

What operating system are you running?
Has it always been slow since you got DSL?

chevelle

I've only had DSL for about 2 months max. I have 3 computers networked through a router. The Computer thats closest to the router or the one that was initially hooked up to it at first is using XP Home and the Laptop as well. The one in my room which is probably 20 feet of wire away from my router is using XP Pro. Some of you maybe thinking that its because of the router,but even when I only had one computer hooked up the router it was still running at 40.0 kbps and no higher.

p.s By the way I check my speeds through Bandwidthplace.com

Del

I just tried the site. Booted in ME right now and going thru a Netgear router.
899.5 kilobits per second
How long it the telephone wire from the phone jack to the DSL modem?
What brand is the modem?

chevelle

the phone jack is hooked up to a dsl filter. 1 line is hooked up to the phone the other is for the modem. the length of the phone line between the modem and the phone jack is probably 20 feet or more.

Del

You have the modem going thru the filter?
What is the name of the modem?

chevelle

the modem was provided by SBC Yahoo. The DSL filter was put there cause well...They told me to. By buying a different and much better modem, will it improve my signal or will it still be the same?

Del

I have DSL and every phone or other device on the line needs a filter, except the modem..
Check your book, if it's anything like the dsl I have, the filter on the modem will knock your speed into the ground, it's a wonder it even works thru a filter.
Try bypassing the filter just for fun..
;)

chevelle

i think filter is there to provide a line for both my phone my modem,but if you say so. i'll try it right now...so hold on.

Del

If you plug it into the jack and then have two places to plug into it, it's not a filter, it's a splitter.

chevelle

Ok, so its splitter. It still has DSL Filter labeled on it. I did it. I took out the splitter/filter and just put the phone line into the jack. its still running the same...whatnow?

Del

Is it marked phone and modem?
Do you have filters on all the phone?
What is the name of the modem?? The Brand name.
The 20+ foot extension is not helping either?
I had added a long extension on mine and the speed dropped 50%

chevelle

Its a speedstream 5360. I dont think you can find them at a Bestbuy or Fry's. They gave it to me free.

Del

Okay, we use Alcatel and Speed Stream modems here too.
What does the filter/splitter look like? Is it sort of flat with places on the side and front to plug into?
How many filters did they provide you with?
Does it look like the picture I attached?

Attachments

chevelle

they sent me 4 splitters/filters and one that look like the file you attached to your thread. the 4 splitters/filters i have looks like a little rectangle shaped object. on one end it has one port for the phone line to the phone jack. on the other side of the splitter/filter it has two ports. one of them connects to the line that goes straight to my modem and the other to my phone. did that make any sense? well, at first when i received my modem from sbc yahoo they said i could hook it up myself after the day that they have confirmed my dsl. when i hooked it up and couldnt get any signal they gave me a "trouble ticket". which, lead to some guy techy guy coming here and do something with my phone line at the backyard. i dont know what he did,but after that the next day i had signal.

is it ok if i buy a different modem? or do i have to use the one that they sent me? by having a better ( more expensive ) modem does that necessarily mean that i'll have better signal?

p.s thanx for all your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online