1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My connection speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bobrf, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobrf

bobrf Thread Starter

Hi I hope someone out there can help. I live in Cyprus and have had adsl installed so i could use Direct Connect. I have to use Direct Conect in passive mode, which is ok, but the fastest download speed I can obtain is only about 2KB/sec which is hopeless.
    when I try downloads from other sites - eg download.com I can get about 60KB/sec.
    Can you give me any clues as to why Direct Connect downloads are so slow?
    I also use MSN Messenger to keep in contact with friends in the UK but when they try to send me picture files I get the following message.
    "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your system administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."
    My internet provider here is Cytanet and the adsl supplier is NetRunner. It's a dial up connection firstly to Cytanet then to NetRunner. Their tech support is hopeless, and I am often fobbed off with all sorts of nonsense and just get no where. Any Ideas on this one?? I had the adsl installed about six months ago and at that time I could sometimes achieve 20kb/sec using Direct Connect which was almost acceptable, but now it's down to 2kb/sec I think I'd do better with a standard modem connection.
    Apart from learning Greek so I can communicate better can you offer any advice??

2. monted

monted

i would try a test at a place like

www.pcpitstop.com

click "internet connection" under "test my pc" in the upper left hand corner

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice