my CPU exceeds 85+ degrees while playing games is this okay?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tomershushan

so... I downloaded a monitoring program and a stress program and I am not happy with the results I tried cleaning up my computer from dust with canned pressured air and no change maybe I need to change thermal paste? I didn't build the computer my well-known computer and hardware store did the build. these are the results I got (monitoring program "CAM")
thanks in advanced, Tomer :D

EDIT: maybe they didn't apply enough thermal paste to reduce money expenses? or they didn't apply any at all? I don't want to check because I don't have any thermal paste in my house and if I remove the cooler I need to reapply the thermal paste... oh and hot air is coming out of the computer when I play i had this computer for 2 years and never had problems in-game maybe some lag spikes now and then but other then that its all good (my first gaming computer)

EDIT No.2: cooler is arctic model allpine 11 pro

Attachments

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Clipboard.jpg

That Intel processor has a maximum operating temperature of 100 C.
That NVIDIA graphics card has a maximum operating temperature of 97 C.

ASUS PRIME B250M-K Motherboard
(It supports up to 32 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM)
Why do you have only 8 GB in it, especially since you're using your computer for gaming and it has an impressive Intel processor and NVIDIA graphics card?

----------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

If you have the stock intel cooler, it came with thermal compound already applied. If you have an aftermarket cooler, then some of those need thermal compound applied and there might be a chance for an error.
If you intend on gaming or other stressful endeavor, you probably need better cooling. Post your exact cooling specs; ie the exact cooler installed, how many case fans, what size of fans, where those case fans are located, etc.

Next generally you use the motherboard mfg's purpose designed software for monitoring temps/voltages however you have a "B" chipset board. Those use a business chipset ie it is designed for running office, email, etc NOT the stress of gaming. In this case, you are somewhat limited on what you use to monitor temps. The max temp of that processor is 100C however that is measured at the processor die so whatever readings you are using, you would need to know where is takes the temp measurement.

If you intend on running games, you may need to increase your cooling ie get a better cooler OR go liquid cooling. Again post your exact cooling specs.

Last edited:
I saw on your screen shot your max CPU was about 84C ,is that stressing it? if so Your GPU was not stressed because it was around 46C (idle temps). 84C stressed is OK but not Idle and it was showing some strange temps on the motherboard 115 and 111C?? Oh and a syringe of thermal paste is only about $8 for the best stuff and it has enough to do 20 CPUs.

tomershushan

View attachment 271333

That Intel processor has a maximum operating temperature of 100 C.
That NVIDIA graphics card has a maximum operating temperature of 97 C.

ASUS PRIME B250M-K Motherboard
(It supports up to 32 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM)
Why do you have only 8 GB in it, especially since you're using your computer for gaming and it has an impressive Intel processor and NVIDIA graphics card?

----------------------------------------------------------------
it's the next thing I'm about to add to my pc

tomershushan

I saw on your screen shot your max CPU was about 84C ,is that stressing it? if so Your GPU was not stressed because it was around 46C (idle temps). 84C stressed is OK but not Idle and it was showing some strange temps on the motherboard 115 and 111C?? Oh and a syringe of thermal paste is only about $8 for the best stuff and it has enough to do 20 CPUs.
I don't know about the motherboard degrees witch are strange and you said when I stress test my CPU its 84 if I play I get 80-88 degrees and I have a notification saying that it can damage my CPU

tomershushan

btw I think it has been like this forever but I didn't know because no monitoring program was known to me then and the insurance is no longer valid

Some say CAM reporting can be off, I use http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp. There is a big article about Intel temperature guide here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/
It does say extended temperatures of above 85 C is not recommended. But that does not mean it will die soon. The CPUs won't throttle until 100C. A lot of people put better aftermarket coolers on than the factory ones. Your Alpine 11 cooler is rated for 95 watts and your CPU TDP is 91 watts so that doesn't give it any head room. They cheeped out on the cooler. You could use a better one. Do you know how to install a new cooler?

crjdriver

Anything other than the designed monitoring software is often flaky. The problem here is that the motherboard is a business type board; not designed for any type of gaming hence no monitoring software. Asus has very good monitoring software however it is for their mid to high end performance motherboards.

The arctic 11 cooler is really not much [if any] better than a stock intel cooler. Fine for general use NOT fine for gaming. I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 type coolers [unless you go liquid cooling] I have a 212 on my overclocked 7600K and it keeps temps at 55C or so when running prime95.
Note these are NOT the easiest things to install however the performance is excellent. For air cooling it is about the best bang for the buck you can get.

Last edited:
What is the Model of your case so I can recommend a different cooler, The Coolermaster 212 types require 160mm of space between the CPU and the Side

tomershushan

Some say CAM reporting can be off, I use http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp. There is a big article about Intel temperature guide here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/
It does say extended temperatures of above 85 C is not recommended. But that does not mean it will die soon. The CPUs won't throttle until 100C. A lot of people put better aftermarket coolers on than the factory ones. Your Alpine 11 cooler is rated for 95 watts and your CPU TDP is 91 watts so that doesn't give it any head room. They cheeped out on the cooler. You could use a better one. Do you know how to install a new cooler?
no I don't altho youtube can help :/

tomershushan

Anything other than the designed monitoring software is often flaky. The problem here is that the motherboard is a business type board; not designed for any type of gaming hence no monitoring software. Asus has very good monitoring software however is for their mid to high end performance motherboards.

The arctic 11 cooler is really not much [if any] better than a stock intel cooler. Fine for general use NOT fine for gaming. I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 type coolers [unless you go liquid cooling] I have a 212 on my overclocked 7600K and it keeps temps at 55C or so when running prime95.
Note these are NOT the easiest things to install however the performance is excellent. For air cooling it is about the best bang for the buck you can get.
I'm looking for a gaming motherboard if I will upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online