1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My CPU fan is almost dead. Need some advice please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaoilia, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaoilia

Kaoilia Thread Starter

I have a question about what heatsink and fan combo I should get. I think I have a pretty good idea what I need, but I just want to make sure with some experts first.

This is my computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227105

I don't know how big my heatsink and fan combo is. It's a big mofo, I can tell you that. The documentation for my motherboard says I have a 4 pin CPU fan connector. (CPU fan PWM, CPU fan IN, CPU fan PWR, GND)

If this picture shows up, this is basically what I have:

[​IMG]

This is the CPU fan/heatsink combo I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Will the CPU fan/heatsink I'm looking at work for me?

2. Compiler

Compiler

Thats not a standard Socket AM cooler bracket... so you'd need a cooler that will screw into the motherboard. You may have to replace the rear-bracket too if its not compatible with a replacement cooler... which means removing the entire motherboard unless the area under the CPU is exposed (some PC cases, it is)

It'll be easier and cheaper to simply replace the fan itself. Pull out the memory and you should be able to access the screws without taking out the whole unit... up to you. But get some arctic silver to re-grease the CPU (and read the guidelines for that). The fan looks like a standard 80mm size. Here are some, choose something under 25db.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eactivatedMark=False&Order=RATING&PageSize=50

Price: About $6~12

PS: That's not that much of a large cooler. ;)

3. Kaoilia

Kaoilia Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try that out first. :)

4. Compiler

Compiler

Measure the fan you have now. But it looks like an 80mm from the photo.

5. Kaoilia

Kaoilia Thread Starter

I've had quite the interesting time these past few days. I cleaned my fan and it still is trying to die on me (had to take the motherboard out. Long story.) It looks like I'll need a 70mm fan, I have one bookmarked on Newegg.

I've developed issues after cleaning my fan. My BIOS settings keep reverting back to the factory settings I think they are factory settings), My clock won't keep time, and my video card isn't being recognized. I'm guessing I'll need to update my BIOS? My video card seems to be seated properly.

6. Compiler

Compiler

You could try resetting BIOS by either removing / replacing the battery or reset the BIOS via the jumpers (refer to manual) - its usually a 3-pin jumper near the battery.

You might have damaged the board to have such off-ball problems all of the sudden. This is why I recommend removing the fan without removing the Heatsink/mobo. 4 screws holding that fan-cover also holds the fan to the heat-sink block.

A standard AMD type HSF would have come off with the flip of a lever...

Cross fingers that a reset works. Updating a BIOS with most likely not resolve this problem.

7. Kaoilia

Kaoilia Thread Starter

Oh man, I was so scared there for a while. I opened my case back up and took the video card out, looked at it, and put it back into its slot. When I started my computer back up again I made sure the fan on my card was spinning. The BIOS reset again (or whatever it's doing), so I set my date and time and restarted. Before the restart I couldn't pull up my video card's control panel. Apparently I just need to restart my computer after I set my clock. It seems to be fine now. I shouldn't try to think when I'm exhausted.

I had to take the heatsink off because one of the screws holding the fan in place was slightly crooked and way too tight. I couldn't get the leverage to unscrew it. It left a gouge on the heatsink from being improperly secured. I'm not sure if that will be an issue in the future for me.

My CPU and heatsink have new thermal paste. My idle temp dropped down by 8 degrees.

Thank you for your help. :)

8. Compiler

Compiler

Good.

3 screws is enough to hold the fan in place. You don't want a screw to get lose and fall inside your motherboard.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice