1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved My CPU is faster then my GPU thus bottlenecking it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vvorren, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vvorren

Vvorren Thread Starter

Hi I'm new when it comes to pc building and also I'm tight on a budget so I really need to think when buying pc parts. First off my CPU is a Ryzen 5 2600 and my GPU is a 1060 6gb. I wanted to know it if my system will bottleneck or not so I went into this website https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator it told me that the bottleneck was about 26% meaning that my GPU is weaker then my CPU and will limit it, which then got me worried because the maximum you what it to be under 10%, if I upgraded to a 1070 a better GPU when my bottleneck will be around 1%. So I'm wondering if this will effect the FPS of games ?? Do I need a better GPU to balance out the bottleneck to 10% and will that increase my FPS? What about photoshop or Sony Vegas, I know that they are not GPU intensive so having a better GPU really doesn't matter or does it ? And I'm mainly building this for gaming. Please help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard1.jpg Clipboard2.jpg

These are the performance scores of the 2 processor/graphic card combinations you mentioned.

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but I don't see a bottlenecking concern with either combination.

You didn't say how much RAM you have in your gaming rig, nor did you describe the motherboard and power supply in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Vvorren

Vvorren Thread Starter

16 GB of ddr4 ram(ram speed 3000 MHz) and the motherboard is msi b350m (overclockable). The power supply is evga 600w. So I'm guessing it's all good then. Anyway thx for the response

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some advise;
    Ryzen has incredible performance however ryzen is NOT intel. You cannot just slap parts together and have it run great. Ryzen takes careful tuning/tweaking in the bios to achieve a high level of performance.

As an example, I have two personal systems; an intel 7600k overclocked to 4.5gig and a ryzen 1700X overclocked to 3.9gig. On single core benchmarks, the intel has a slight advantage [not surprising since it is clocked quite a bit higher] On a multicore benchmark, the ryzen system literately blows the intel out of the water; doubling the cinebench cpu score. On realbench, the ryzen scores approx 35% higher than the intel.

Some more advise. Ram is not going to run at 3000 unless you set speed, timings, and vdimm manually in the bios. Most likely on first bootup, it will run at 2133 or [maybe] 2600.
    Next msi motherboard. Unless you have already purchased these parts, I would REALLY go with an asus, asrock, or gigabyte board running the X470 chipset. IMO msi is a mid-level mfg [at best] and their boards are not up to the quality of a high end asus board.

The board you listed is a pretty low end motherboard. OK for a basic system build however not ok for a gaming build.

5. Vvorren

Vvorren Thread Starter

Dude thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll try my best to apply it to my build, as for the motherboard I'm going for a micro ATX so there is a limit when choosing a motherboard to be honest or am I better off choosing a standard atx motherboard? As for overclocking should I use a air cooler or a liquid cooler ? And when overclocking does it take more waltage ? Meaning I need a higher power supply ?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Micro boards are not for gaming systems. Generally a micro board has only two ram slots, no steel pci-e slot for the video, low end power regulation, etc. A micro board is fine for an office system NOT if you are building a gaming system.
    This is the board I am using in my ryzen system;
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/
    It has been superseded by the newer HERO VII running the X470 chipset. The ROG boards from asus are NOT cheap however they are just about bullet proof. In the end, you get what you pay for.

A mild overclock is fine using something like a coolermaster 212 type cooler. If you want to hard core overclock, go liquid cooling. Yes, overclocking takes more pw [another reason to go with a high end board] It is not just the pw supply, you need quality pw regulation on the board ie heavy duty voltage regulators AND heavy duty capacitors.

Vvorren likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice