My CPU keeps overheating - I7 7700k 4.20GHz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ihavelegitnoclue

Hi, a year ago I went to my local expert since my motherboard and cpu broke due to being old. I told the person that runs the pc store to recomend me a good upgrade, something that I could have for years and overall a good investment since I wanted to start what would be the foundation for my gaming PC. After gathering the funds I bought what he suggested since I have no clue whatsoever about hardware, a Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz and a new motherboard for it, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B250M-A (LGA1151). Everything worked perfectly for a few months but then I started to notice lack of performance, I thought it would be due to the heat of the zone but then the PC started to overheat regularly and it has been a problem that I've been running for a while. I went to the store but the store owner says that I shouldn't have the problem but I still have it.

What can I really do? Could anyone tell me if there's any chance of fixing it or should I buy a new pc?

These are my specs. I know that it might not be the best but I do not know if the solution is to build upon what I have or just buy a new pc.

Attachments

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Can you post a Speccy url for us;

This will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

crjdriver

44C [which is what you are showing] is not terrible. How exactly are you determining the processor is overheating? What stress tests have you run and what were the temps?
The stock intel coolers are not the greatest and IF you intend on gaming and or overclocking, you should install a quality cooler.
I should have added, what type of case fans are you running ie 120mm exhaust, 2x120mm intake, what? How does the inside of the case look? Is there good airflow ie the case does NOT look like a rat's nest with wires, cables, etc going all over.

Last edited:

Ihavelegitnoclue

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Can you post a Speccy url for us;

This will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.
Here:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6keNLnXoPHvHLPsUazqASfF

I will also have the pics with the details of the PSU.

44C [which is what you are showing] is not terrible. How exactly are you determining the processor is overheating? What stress tests have you run and what were the temps?
The stock intel coolers are not the greatest and IF you intend on gaming and or overclocking, you should install a quality cooler.
I do not intend to overclock, I only want to game. That CPU is what I was recommended, I have no idea whatsoever in terms of hardware all I want to know is what to do. In regards of the tempeture, the CPU overheats to the point of the PC crashing and restarting , then I get the info diplaying that the CPU is overheated and that I have to run the BIOS. Then I wait a few minutes until it cool downs and I can go back to my business, I know play everything on low because I fear that it can overheat and break the PC. I'll also add the pic on how the cables and overall pc looks.

Attachments

crjdriver

I see a lot of problems here;
1 Small form factor type case NOT conducive to good cooling
2 Inside of the case looks like a rat's nest; again NOT conducive to cooling
3 Pw supply appears to be exhausting air directly onto the cpu cooler; again NOT the way to design a system. If the pw supply is in fact exhausting air out of the case and not onto the cooler, there is still a problem in that it is intaking air from the hottest part of the system. Again NOT the way to design a system
4 No exhaust fan to remove hot air

What I would do;
1 Install an exhaust fan; at least a 120mm one; larger if possible
2 Clean up those cables and wires so you can at least get some airflow
3 Check the bios and make sure the cpu cooler is set for normal or performance and not something like quiet or silent

If the above does not fix the problem, the next thing I would do would be to get a better cpu cooler however you do not have much room and you would need to measure carefully to see what will fit. After that, if it still does not work, get a decent case with at least enough room for a quality cooler and not so small that it cannot get decent airflow.

There is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, as is the case with the one that you have, chinese junk I`m afraid.

Question, why do you have one screen connected to the MB and one to the GPU, both should be connected to the add on GPU.

Ihavelegitnoclue

There is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, as is the case with the one that you have, chinese junk I`m afraid.
Well it was the one that I was recommended so dunno really.

Question, why do you have one screen connected to the MB and one to the GPU, both should be connected to the add on GPU.
I don't have the connecter that fits on the GPU.

What I would do;
1 Install an exhaust fan; at least a 120mm one; larger if possible
2 Clean up those cables and wires so you can at least get some airflow
3 Check the bios and make sure the cpu cooler is set for normal or performance and not something like quiet or silent
This helped me a lot and overall the post.

To add more information I did not build the PC , I went to store and they did it for me and it was only the one on my small town.

What I understand from this is:

-Need to get a bigger box to keep things in their right spots so the PSU does not put the heated air on the CPU.
-Fix the cooling problem
-Get a new PSU and exhaust fan

I don't have the connecter that fits on the GPU.
In addition to the above in your reply #8, you need to get one and until you do I suggest that you disconnect the screen that is attached to the MB, this should also ease the load on the PSU and hopefully drop the internal temps, can be as much as 10 °C in some instances.

I went to store and they did it for me and it was only the one on my small town.
We understand that not everyone has access or sufficient funds to be able to obtain the correct hardware or services but when we see something that is unsafe we have to mention it, your weak PSU, overheating and missing GPU adaptor need to be sorted asap.

crjdriver

What I understand from this is:

-Need to get a bigger box to keep things in their right spots so the PSU does not put the heated air on the CPU.
-Fix the cooling problem
-Get a new PSU and exhaust fan
That pretty much covers it. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than just installing a video card. All of the parts need to work together to achieve a decent level of performance. A well thought out/designed gaming system starts with a high end corsair, seasonic, or other high end pw supply, a quality mid-tower or full tower corsair or other high end case, a performance motherboard, and high performance ram.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online