My CPU rapidly changes CPU temperature from 47 to 70 degrees celcius!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

G_Penguin

SPECS:
3.0GHz PIV HT 1MB cache 800FSB
Intel D865BGF motherboard
512 DDR-3200
PowerColor Radeon 9600 PRO 256DDR
Promise 100Ultra ATA card
MadDog 4.1 soundcard
NEC LAN/USB/Firewire card

3GB HDD Fujitsu NTSF (C)
120GB HDD Wester Digital NTSF (D)windows (E)
160GB HDD Wester Digital NTSF (F) (G)
1.5GB HDD FAT32 (I)
HT/LD CD-R DVD-ROM combo (H)
Windows XP Pro SP1

Setup: I have a "Cooler Master: X Dream III ICC-L81" heatsink PRODUCT INFO with "Arctic Silver 5" thermal compound PRODUCT INFO on a Intel Prescott 3.0GHz HT processor PRODUCT INFO on a Intel® Desktop Board D865GBF PRODUCT INFO

My problem is that from idle to running a game, the temperature jumps from 47 degrees celcius to 60-70 degrees celcius. The games that I run that changes the temperature rapidly are: "Stepmania", "Melty Blood: ReACT", and "Guilty Gear XX #Reload". I don't know if these temperature read outs are accurate because, if they are, I'm gonna worry. I'm pretty sure that I apply the thermal compound to the CPU properly and that the heatsink is on the CPU and motherboard properly. Are these temperature read-outs normal? Is "Intel Active Monitor" and "Sandra" (programs that report temperature) mess reporting these temperatures readouts? Or is the heatsink and/or the thermal compound not working for me?

Note: As soon as I quit a game, the CPU temperature rapidly goes down to about 50 degrees celcius.

70*c your in the danger zone, How many case fans do you have. I'm running pretty hot too 36*c/100*f at idle and peeking at 60*c/140* after about an hour of games like half life2 and far cry. I have 2 case fans in back, a pci plug in that has 2 fans blowing on my 6800. I just ordered a new cpu cooler last night that is copper and aluminum. I'm hearing p4's with ht run very hot but 70*c is the point where Intel chips start failing. You might see a noticeable drop in performance at this temp.

crjdriver

Are you checking the temp in the bios or with a software app like mbm or speedfan?

I am assuming you have the prescott core since it is running hot. Pull the side cover off and see if your temps go down quite a bit. If so, you need better case airflow; adding exhaust fan can help with this task.

Did you install the hsf yourself and how much AS did you put on?

G_Penguin

I installed the heatsink myself. I have 3 case fans on my system. One huge one that takes up a drive space in the front, a PCI fan at the very bottom of my case and one regular fan right underneath my powersupply. Just right now, I'm idling at 39 degrees celcius according to "Intel Active Monitor". I checked the temperature in the BIOS and using software. I put about a grain of rice of arctic silver 5 and covered the cpu quite nicely.

crjdriver

For good case cooling, exhaust fans are more important than intake fans. Exhaust fans should be at the upper rear of the case; this allows them to remove hot air from the case. If you use an intake fan, it should be in the lower front of the case. This brings in cool air at the bottom and exhausts the warm air at the top.

You might want to experiment with moving one or more of your fans. Use an app like prime95 [available for download from many sites] to stress the system.

G_Penguin

I'll try that. Right now, I'm running Winamp (newest version) with random AVS on and I've gone from 50ºC (idle) to 63ºC. I want to say that my senors are not reporting the rise in temperature correctly. It fluxuates from 50ºC to 63ºC in less then 9 seconds; and when I close the program, it drops back down from 63ºC to 50ºC in less then 9 seconds. I've installed Speedfan however, it crashes on me when it tries to load.

G_penguin

Just installed the new zalman cpu cooler and hs, running much cooler now Idle 33*c/91*f and after an hour of serious gaming 50*c was the hottest it got I guess intel fans and hs are lame.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use a stock Intel fan on my Northwood core 3.2ghz P4, and my peak processor temperature normally reaches 50-51C. For the Prescott core, I believe a higher capacity 3rd party cooling solution is called for. I guess you've already figured that out. :D

Sounds like the CPU cooler wasn't correctly installed... Temp ranges on CPU is usually not more than 10 degrees.

While you're experimenting with case fan layouts - and if I read you right you have three competing with each other - go into the BIOS and set a warning temperature of 65 degrees C and a shutdown of 70. At least you may save the chip.

I wish I read this thread before I built mine, I had the 2 case fans as intake fans and did nothing but make the case hot when I switched them to exhast fans and everything was nice and cool except the cpu. What concerns me is I don't have the prescott core I have the northwood HT 3.06gz 533 fsb chip a stock fan should have done the job.

A badly designed case will do that as well... I just built a system with the Coolremaster Centerion... it is an almost silent case... and very high class.

But its using a cooler running AMD64 CPU.
But any cheap case or improper fans can cause you problems... I shake my head when I see people buy a $50 case which typically looks cheap and has cheap power supply and few cooling vents.

G_Penguin

Thanks for your advise. I got a new case a few weeks ago. I picked out a "CODENGEN Silver ATX Mid Tower Case" Model: E-6097-C9-W/O PRODUCT INFO and 5 "Masscool" fans PRODUCT INFO. I use 3 as intakes (2 front, 1 side) and 2 as exhausts (back, and top). My PC idles at 40-44ºC and at a full load around 59-63ºC. I really think the Chassis Air Duct helps a lot. Then I read up on how Prescotts are hot to begin with and my temperature read outs are normal.

Thanks for the advise guys/gals, (y)
-Guilty Penguin

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Saga Lout said:
While you're experimenting with case fan layouts - and if I read you right you have three competing with each other - go into the BIOS and set a warning temperature of 65 degrees C and a shutdown of 70. At least you may save the chip.
Actually, the P4 doesn't really need saving. :) The P4 core will throttle back when it overheats to avoid burning up. Here's an interesting article on How Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online