1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My current security combo & Comodo Versus ZA free Firewall

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by john2004, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can please help me with the following...

My current security setup is...

AVG free anti-virus
    Windows Defender anti-spyware
    Zone Alarm free firewall version 6.5.737.000
    Cyberhawk http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk/
    Firefox browser with no-script extension
    Sandboxie

I also do periodic scans with AVG anti-spyware free (real time disabled), spybot search and destroy, lavasoft adaware, a-squared, and bitdefender online scan.

My current setup is working fine, but recently when I tried to upgrade Zone Alarm free, it caused my computer to crash and restart so I had to go back to version 6.5.737.000 which always worked great. I have also read reviews that the most recent version of ZA is also causing crashes. Additionally, ZA free is now about a 38 MB download which takes some time to download on a 56 k dial up connection.

I like to keep my security software updated, but do I really need to update to the most recent version of ZA ? If not now, then when ?

I have been thinking of trying the free Comodo firewall as it seems to have good reviews, although I heard that the company was previously affiliated with a spyware company. I heard similar rumors about the company behind spywareterminator previously being affiliiated with spyware.

Is comodo 2.4.18.184 a better choice than ZA free ? The upcoming release of comodo (version 3.0) is supposed to have HIPS, so as long as it does not conflict with cyberhawk, I guess I should be OK, or I can do away with Cyberhawk if the HIPS in comodo is good.

Please let me know what you guys would recommend, should I try to stay with ZA free, or go with Comodo ?

Thanks for your help.
    John

2. TOGG

TOGG

I am currently in a similar position to you, although I got there in a different way!

I was using Win 98 quite happily and had NOD32 and ZA Pro (one of the 6.0 series because it was the last one that worked with '98 and, like you, I had read a lot of stuff about the problems some people were having with the 7.0 series). My 98 computer suffered a terminal crash (due to an error of mine!) and so I now have XP Home. I have made several attempts to get a new d/l of ZAP but without success, probably because my anti-spyware sub expired during the period I was 'offline'.

Like you I was appalled at the prospect of a 38MB d/l for the free version on dialup so I got Comodo. It's too early to make a judgement about whether Comodo is better, worse or just different to ZA, because I'm still very much in the learning process with it. Perhaps a long term Comodo user will respond and give us some feedback?

3. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hi TOGG,

Thanks for your reply.

It's interesting that when at the Gibson Research site https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 my computer seems to pass with flying colors showing all ports in stealth mode. However, when at http://www.pcflank.com/test.htm the tests says that my ports 135,137,138, & 139 are visible.

The test at http://scan.sygate.com/home_homeoffice/sygate/index.jsp says the systems has a "safe" rating so I guess two out of three is not bad. Still, I wonder why the ports are visible at http://www.pcflank.com/test.htm ?

How does your version of Comodo do at the Pcflank site ?

I'm running ZA free 6.5.737.000 but I use this computer to pay my bills and I have some private data & emails stored on it, so I'm looking for the best security I can get at reasonable cost. I'm running free programs because they have protected me so far & I figure why pay if I don't have to. I would have purchased the Pro version of ZA if the new version was not buggy on my system.

My thoughts are that you need to have a good anti-virus, a decent firewall, and an anti-spyware program with resident protection. This, along with using Firefox with the no-script extension & sandboxie, protects against most of the bad stuff. However, recently I began to feel that some type of protection against zero-day threats is needed, which is why I installed Cyberhawk, which seems to be running fine so far.

I don't want to install any more security programs or get too carried away, but would consider replacing an existing program with something better, which is why I was curious about the Comodo firewall as compared to ZA free.

Hopefully some Comodo users can offer some more feedback.

Thanks again,
    John

4. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Additional note:

When I tried the leak test at pcflank.com, it said that my firewall had been bypassed, but cyberhawk identified the leaktester as a virus and gave me the option to block it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!