1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Custom Desktop Icons Keep Reverting to Windows Default Icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CobraKahn, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CobraKahn

CobraKahn Thread Starter

This isn't a serious problem, but it is annoying since it has never happened before and I'm used to having a Win XP custom desktop.

Anyway, I can't think of anything new that I've done to my computer as of late except install Spybot and other spyware detecting programs (Hijack This!, etc.) but now, whenever I restart or turn off my computer, my custom icons revert to default windows icons.

By this I mean:

My Computer
    My Documents
    My Network Places
    Recycle Bin (full)
    Recycle Bin (empty)

I can normally customize these by clicking right clicking on the desktop > Properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Change Icon

But, just as of this week, they have begun to revert back to the boring default windows icons.

I'm sure this is a simple problem but I can't for the love of God figure out how to fix it.

Any suggestions would be incredibly appreciated.

2. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I'm having the same problem with my machine. Maybe someone will take a fresh look at our problem now that the post is back at the top.

John

3. zephyr

zephyr

I always recommend increasing the size of the icon cache.

Using Registry Editor, add the Max Cached Icons string value with a value data of 2000 to the following registry key, and then restart your computer:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    If the icons are still incorrect, delete the ShellIconCache file or iconcache.db if running XP. The Max Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096. The default value is 500.

If you prefer an automated version with a multiple choice menu, go here:

http://home.stny.rr.com/dicklewis/iconcache.reg

Download and double click that file and allow the import to the registry. That will not only increase the Icon Cache size, it will add a menu to your MY COMPUTER (or Explorer) > TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW > scroll down to the bottom of that list.. that allows you to resize the Cache as you prefer.

Best regards.

4. hewee

hewee

Yea I had the same trouble till I up the number for the Icon Cache size.

No hewee is happy. :)

5. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Thanks zephyr & Hewee
    It seems to be working for now. I'll post back tomorrow and let you two know how it holds up.

John

6. hewee

hewee

Your welcome John.

It should hold up just find.

Now I did this on 98 so the Icon Cache size was small and hard drives were smaller back then but as they got bigger and I added more program the trouble started and got worse as I added more programs.

7. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Well it's a no go. On first startup this morning windows reverted back to the default Icons. I know that this is a minor thing but it would sure be nice to customize at least the recycle bin Icon.
    Do you have any other ideas?

John

8. hewee

hewee

Sorry to hear that John.

Ok I will say what I had done but don't know if it had anything to in helping.

It first I was thinking it was a bad Icon Cache file so I deleted it. But it came back but after so many times of reboots, shut downs etc it was gone. Then later on it was back and the same trouble was back till I changed the file size.

But see the 3rd post here on more info.

9. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Thanks hewee
    I did eveything mentioned above without any help. I feel like there is something missing or needs to be changed in the reg.
    I'll keep trying.

John

10. hewee

hewee

Well it too days before I got the ShellIconCache file to be gone.
    Think I need a couple good shut downs and not just a reboot.

But go back and see if you have the value data right. I have 1500 on mine. But look and see if maybe you had a space before the number you put in for your value data. Don't know if it would show or not but it is something to look at.

11. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

OK I've reset it and i'll give it a little time.

John

12. hewee

hewee

Good luck

13. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I submitted an online support request with microsoft and the results are that the user profile is corrupted. Sure enough I created another account and the problem does not affect the new account.
    My next question would be, Should I create a new account and then use the settings and files transfer wizard to transfer everything to the new account? I've heard some bad things about using this tool.

John

14. hewee

hewee

Well glad you got the ShellIconCache file fix.

Will like others talk to ya now on what you want to do now.
    Maybe starting a new thread would be better too.

15. zephyr

zephyr

If I were you John, I'd go ahead and recreate the new identity without using the Wizard to get things from the old.

That way you can keep the old identity intact and have something to work on on a rainy day. :)

I actually think you can fix this problem if you will delete all copies of the iconcache.db that you find on your drive. Typically XP has one for each identity and I have deleted mine before. It works the same as it did with the Win9x shelliconcache file but you just have more of them to delete. They will all be recreated when you first open any identity after the act.

I wish you would do this so we can resolve this problem and you can perhaps use the old identity without going to all the work of creating the new one.

The way I do it is use Search to find iconcache.db and I get this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db (1957 KB, 12/17/2001 8:54:22 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db (4215 KB, 2/11/2003 3:06:14 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db (19333 KB, 1/10/2004 8:02:28 PM)

I select them all and delete them. Send them to the Recycle Bin for backups if you have no faith.

Best regards whatever you decide.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!