1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Dell desktop only boots when monitor is unplugged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madilee, Nov 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

My Dell desktop only boots when monitor is unplugged. Then I plug in monitor and use the computer. The monitor has an adaptor. I replaced adaptor, but it still only boots when monitor is unplugged.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Explain what you mean by adapter. We aren't there to see how you plug the monitor to the computer.

So you boot the computer, and after you "hear" it booted up, then you plug in the monitor to see the display?

3. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

The end of the monitor cord won't fit into my dell xps desktop, so it needs an adaptor to make it fit. Not sure what it's called. I think the adaptor makes it a VGA. Yes, I turn on the computer, wait maybe five minutes to make sure it has booted and loaded Windows 10, then I plug in the monitor to see the screen.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Post the exact model of Dell xps desktop computer. We need that to determine what ports it has.
    Post the exact model of monitor so we can see what ports it has.

5. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

My computer is Dell XPS 8700 Desktop; my monitor is NEC MultiSync XV17. I suspect my problem may lie with the monitor. It is 24 years old.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that 17" CRT monitor is 24 years old, you should get rid of it.
    You can buy a 22" LCD monitor very cheap, and you will be much happier because of its much larger display and much lighter weight.
    HERE are 2 refurbished Dell-branded 22" models you might consider.
    Both have a standard 15-pin VGA connector like what you've probably been using.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    bassfisher6522 and SarahSims like this.
  7. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

That's what I thought. I'm looking for a photo editing monitor, which the NEC is.

8. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

Even so, you have no idea why the monitor won't come on unless I boot up first?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    There is no such thing. The photo editing depends on the hardware in the computer not what monitor is plugged into the computer.

10. Madilee

Madilee Thread Starter

I am talking about a monitor that will display the color I will see when I print. I understand about the graphics card in my computer.
    Any idea why my computer won't load windows when I have the monitor plugged in?

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No but then I haven't used a CRT in over a decade.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice