1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Dell Dimension 9150 DVD has suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by FellowP56, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FellowP56

FellowP56 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've enjoyed periodically watching new DVD films on my Dell Dimension, which has a separate cd player. The system came with Cine Player, which always conflicted with my Power DVD, but I'd simply close the Cine Player, and all would be fine. Over Christmas 2010 I'd inserted a new film into the DVD drawer, only to watch Cine Player and Power DVD 'duke it out', before it would stop completely. I closed both, and tried again, with the same results. I gave up and watched the film on my laptop, with no problem.
    There was never an error message, the dvd player simply blinked for a while, then made a loud whirring noise, and abruptly stopped, with the green light going out.

About a week later, I inserted another 'tried and true' film, only to watch the system 'hang' for thirty seconds with the same flashing green light, before making the same whirring noise and stopping, lights out. Figuring that the problem was the obvious jostling of CinePlayer and Power DVD that I'd seen before, I uninstalled CinePlayer and restarted, but Power DVD wouldn't work either.

I've since done the DVD troubleshoot rout, and found and installed the decoder that matches my system. Now I have Real Player working, which now presents a cd or dvd option.
    Today, I've checked the cd player and tried the same cd in the DVD drawer, both of which work. When I put a dvd into the dvd player, no error message, just a blinking green light, then nothing.
    When I follow the leads to my Computer and look up my CD/DVD file, it states that my cd/dvd are working fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Hughv

Hughv

It sounds as though your DVD player has died, but first:
    Try the Filter fix:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
    Uninstall this device in Device Manager and reboot to reinstall.
    These devices die frequently and are cheap and easy to replace.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice