1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Dell Inspiron 1545 won't boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lulubby, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong section, I only just started on here. I've had my laptop for a few years, it's never really gave me much drama, but the other day it kept freezing after around 20 minutes, so I'd turn it off, start over and all was fine. I can't quite remember what happened, but I remember one time I noticed Chrome had messed up and deleted all my extensions, signed me out and changed my really cool theme which I was NOT happy about. I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled, and it still didn't give my my extensions back, and was super slow letting me redownload them. I did a system restore thing, and that's when these problems started. Right now my laptop won't let me log in, it starts up fine but just before it gets to the bit where I choose the user, it goes black, and all I can see is the cursor. I've tried safe mode and it does the same, I've changed the battery too and I've tried startup repair. Please help, I will be SO eternally grateful.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    take the battery out and remove the power lead - now hold the power button down for at least 60 seconds

3. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

I did that, what shall I do next?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    put it all back together - does it work ?

5. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

No, it doesn't, but thank you very much anyway.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried last known good configuration - instead of safemode

7. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

Trying that now, I steered clear of it before because it had (advanced) written after it, and that's just not my territory. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked, same black screen and the cursor just came up, but no sign of the log in.

8. Dell-Kris

Dell-Kris Dell Representative

Hi lulubby,
    My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Based on the above symptoms, It's more likely that you have a bad hard drive or a corrupt operating system. Try running the hardware diagnostics and see if it shows any errors. You can follow the instructions from http://dell.to/dU0fpw .
    Also, please e-mail me your Service Tag/Order number so I can check on the warranty status You can reach me at [email protected]

Regards,
    Dell-Kris K

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can undo the restore point that you used. If that is not how you want it to be, you can also try a different point. Undoing will be in the options.

10. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

Thank you! But the link you gave me doesn't work, it just takes me to the Dell website, nothing specific, just general.

11. Dell-Kris

Dell-Kris Dell Representative

12. lulubby

lulubby Thread Starter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!