1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Dell Laptop fails to turn on after change of CMOS battery.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Techmx, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

Recently in the process of upgrading my Dell laptop the plastic cover of the CMOS battery broke off. I held the battery back into the casing with a sticker tape. The system worked fine until I took the laptop to work some weeks after. At work I pressed the power button to turn on the laptop, but it wont turn on. Absolutely no sign of power to the system; no power led, no sound or feeling at all. When I noticed some noise inside the laptop, I opened it and behold the button CMOS battery was no more in place.

I got back home and I fixed the tiny plastic that holds the battery to the casing with a little epoxy adhesive, and used the opportunity to replace a new battery. After coupling the machine back the condition remained the same. Any assistance from this great forum would be appreciated to be able to get my laptop up and running again. Thank you all in advance.

The Laptop is: Dell Inspiron 1501, 2GB RAM, 2ghz speed processor, Win 7 installed. I have no reason to suspect the power pack, everything looks fine.

2. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

The above Dell Laptop runs on AMD Turion 64, Mobod.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

4. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

Thanks Dave for your very apt response. Excepting any slight safety shortcoming, I think I followed the basic installation guidelines, as referenced by you. It is quite spot on. However the problem of not powering on still remains. Still hanging on and believing that the system might wake up one day.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think it should boot to the BIOS screen even without any battery.

6. Techmx

Techmx Thread Starter

It is yet the to boot. My fear is the electrostatic discharge issues, since every other thing seems okay. If it is, how would I fix it? I have tried to press on the power button for 10 seconds with and without the battery on. I honestly fear the worst - losing my motherboard.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the Cmos battery was loose inside the laptop it could have shorted something when you switched it on.

I hope I'm wrong but you may need to replace the motherboard.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice