1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Dell Studio Laptop will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by teresa405, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

My Dell Studio will not boot up! It makes a lot off clicking noises but never boots. I've tried restarting but that doesn't work. All I have is a black screen. Please help!!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like possible the harddrive has failed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 a menu appears - choose safemode
    see if that starts

otherwise you could try creating a UBUNTU boot CD and see if that boots up as a virtual CD - that will at least test the hardware - it may also be possible to see if the hardrive can be seen and even copy the data off to a USB attached harddrive

UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

YOu can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will A screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images

== > Try ubuntu
    == > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
    XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
    Vista/Windows 7 look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

==============================================================================

3. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

I can't insert any Cd. Now what? Your idea does sound good if I could use it.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

Would not start wish flashdrive.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the status here

Unable to boot from:-

1) CD
    2) USB
    3) Harddrive

is that the case

7. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

Yes that is the case. There is a clicking noise that starts about 10 seconds after I push the start button. It sounds like something is stuck, but there is no CD in there.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the harddrive is faulty - whats the exact model of the machine

Why can you not put a CD on - does it have a CD Player on the Machine ?

Can you enter the bios / setup and see if the harddrive is recognised

9. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

I don't know why it won't accept a CD. That's where the clicking noise is coming from. I took the laptop to Staples and they said the hard drive wasn't the problem. They installed a new one and still couldn't get it to work. They couldn't tell me what it is, but they said they would send it off for $350 and it would be fixed no matter what the problem. That's a new computer! Please help! I'm on disability and can't afford it!

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    open the CD door - if it will not open - theres a HOLE in the door/tray panel that an untwisted paperclip should be able to open - just push it in the hole and it unlocks the door/tray mechanism

with the CD open see if it will start without noise

11. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

My computer doesn't have a door or tray. You just slide the disc in. There is something black blocking it. I guess it would be the Cd lock. I couldn't find the hole. Whatever it is, it's right in front of the disc load.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  13. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

79vyvg1

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  15. teresa405

teresa405 Thread Starter

eject button stuck in lighted position, but not ejecting anything.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!