1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My display is way to small.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinny50, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zinny50

Zinny50 Thread Starter

Hello, recently I've encountered a problem with my display settings. I have been through the display settings and it is currently set at 1600x900 which is what I have always had it set to even before I had this problem. My guess is that it's a virus although I haven't picked anything up in my various virus scans. If anyone has any advise on how I can fix this please let me know because I only need this computer to last me a few more weeks. I will attach a photo of how my desktop looks to give you a rough idea.

Thanks, Zane.

Attached Files:

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

I assume you are referring to the general size of the icons etc (too big)?

The first thing I would check is in (assuming Windows 7):

Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalisation > Make text and other items larger or smaller (under the Display section). The default setting for that should be Small.

You can also access this area by typing 'larger' (without the quotes) in the Run box on the Start menu, it should come up as the first option.

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

Try holding down control/ and scroll backwards with the scroll wheel.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I forgot about that easy option :)

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The control and scroll works in a browser; it does nothing for desktop settings, which the OP wants to correct.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Oh yes it does.
    But I don't think the picture shown is of a 1600x900 screen

7. Blu_86

Blu_86

Incorrect. It works on icons and the taskbar, and the font. The only thing that isn't changed is the resolution. if you want to teach the OP how to change the actual display resolution, it's your stage.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I can hold down ctrl and scroll the wheel forward or backward. Nothing changes. There is no icon change, no font change and the taskbar stays exactly the same.
    So why does it work for you and not me on two computers (Win 7 Home premium 32 bit and Win Premium 64 bit) ? I also tried the left and right control keys figuring maybe there was a difference in what control key was used.

Actually Tanis covered this in post #2 so I'll wait until the OP comes back and has questions.

9. DaveBurnett

You DO need to click on the desktop first so that is is selected.
    It works for me.

10. Blu_86

Blu_86

^ that is correct. I should have made that clear thank you.

11. Blu_86

Blu_86

Although I will add a small addendum here. If you also want the taskbar to appear slim you can right click the windows icon on the taskbar to the to "taskbar" tab, and put a checkmark in the use small icons checkbox. it shrinks icons as well but also thins out the taskbar drastically at the same time.

12. DaveBurnett

You can also resize and move the task bar just like a Window except that it will only dock to an edge.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That was the missing piece of the puzzle. Thanks Dave.

14. DaveBurnett

That's OK ! I watched someone else spend ages trying it once, but he was one of those clever people so I left him to it.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Decades ago, I used some software that said 5 minutes to productivity. I went through the steps many many times on a Saturday and Sunday at home and could never get it to work.
    In frustration, I took the instructions into work and showed it to one of my co-workers. He looked and said, "oh, between steps 3 and 4 you have to do this". :mad: It worked fine after I learned the missing step.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice