My DMA is turned off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tomtom80

I have received an alert telling me to turn on my DMA. I have been unable to figure out how to do so. Please help.

etaf

Wayne
assuming WinXP
http://tweakcentral.com/dma.htm

control panel>
system>
hardware tab>
device manager button
Doubleclick on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Second Tab.
should see the DMA setting

can you give more info
make model of PC
windows version

tomtom80

Thanks for the info - I opened the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers: Intel 82801FB Altra Storage Controllers - 2652, 266F, 2 Primary IDE Channels and a Secondary Channel. All controllers are "working properly" - also attempts at updating did not succeed - no need for upgrades. Am I missing a driver? Is this alert bogus?

Under the IDE controller properties did you go into the advanced settings and check and see if DMA is enabled? What gave you the alert?

> If you open the Device Manager (windows+pause/break > Hardware > Device Manager) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

>> the important thing here is the "Current Transfer Mode" must NOT be PIO -- regardless of whether the device is "working properly".

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You might also check in the BIOS and make sure DMA is enabled for all the channels. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online