"My Document" folder font turned blue....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aandj

Don't know what I did, but the font in My Document folders turned blue. All font color within folders are blue, too; like picture captions in My Pictures. Does this mean something?

JMM

This just means that you compressed the folder, so the files inside now take up a little less space on your hard drive. This is a good thing. No worries.

If you want to uncompress the folder or the files within (a folder can be compressed without compressing the files, and if all the files are compressed, it doesn't mean the folder is compressed, get it?), you can use NTFSRatio to add a context menu item that will show degree of compression and also allow you to easily compress and decompress files.

You can also get rid of the blue by going to Folder Options, View and choosing not to show compressed files in color.

It is also possible to change the color (I like dark brown so it doesn't look so starkly different).

Not necessarily a good thing... files that are already a compressed format like JPGs, ZIPs, RARs, and most video and audio files, won't gain any significant space savings, but it will increase processing time as the system has to decompress them on the fly every time you access them.

Unless you REALLY need the few bytes you're saving, you can turn compression off by right-clicking the folder, going into Properties, then to the General tab, Advanced button, and un-checking the "Compress contents to save disk space" box.

aandj

Can I turned compression off for everything all at once, or folder by folder?

JMM

Soundy said:
Not necessarily a good thing... files that are already a compressed format like JPGs, ZIPs, RARs, and most video and audio files, won't gain any significant space savings, but it will increase processing time as the system has to decompress them on the fly every time you access them.

Unless you REALLY need the few bytes you're saving, you can turn compression off by right-clicking the folder, going into Properties, then to the General tab, Advanced button, and un-checking the "Compress contents to save disk space" box.
Agreed. The saved disk space is insignificant. There is no advantage to compression and many disadvantages (such as complicating recovery operations and slowing the machine). Don't use it.

aandj said:
Can I turned compression off for everything all at once, or folder by folder?

JMM
You can turn it off for the entire drive by right-clicking, but it takes a while. Also, don't choose the option to compress files when using Disk Cleanup.

aandj

I went through all my folders and un-decompressed them.

What I need to know is what and where to unclick so further files will not continue to compress. There must have been someplace at one time that I checked this off, that started all this to begin with!

If the advanced attributes for the drive is set to leave files uncompressed, they will no longer compress. Don't compress in Disk Cleanup, as I mentioned.

You didn't click anything---that's the way it is after installation.

Ok, I've changed the color of my compressed drive before but it's been so long and I've forgotten where to change it. Can someone refresh my memory please. Thanks

1. Open 'My Computer'
2. Click the Tools menu
3. Click Folder Options
4. Select the View tab
5. Clear Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
6. Click OK

Yes, I know how to turn it off so it goes back to black but I want to change it to Orange.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online