1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My documents access denied error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by felicia0923, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. felicia0923

felicia0923 Thread Starter

Hi, I recently had a computer crash and die, it was an old computer, I don't know what went wrong, I don't really care now because I realize it was old and got a new computer. Anyway I knew my hard drive was still good and I have important data on it that I needed, so i removed it and bought a hard drive enclosure. I hooked it up to my new computer and everything is coming up fine, but my "e://documents and settings/owner/" folder. That was the administrative account document folder that I used for my work. When I try to open it it's giving my an 'Access Denied" error. I can access all the other accounts just fine. I think it's maybe administrative / password related somehow, but I did not have a password set on the account that I can recall, I actually remember manually setting it to 'none'. If anyone can offer any advice I would so appreciate it! The main reason I bought the enclosure was because I need all the documents I have in that folder.

2. felicia0923

I just figured it out! I downloaded and installed the security tab for XP home i found here - http://www.box.net/shared/zlsx1fv480 and added the user "Owner" and granted it full control. Thanks to all who would have helped me! :D

3. nessyguin

nessyguin

And thanks for posting the solution for those who come after you with the same problem :)

I cant help thinking if you were logged in under an administrative account you could have accessed the folder anyway .

4. felicia0923

I'm logged in as the administrator on my computer, but its still locking me out, I don't know why. I have to set permissions for every folder and file ( I can multi-select files and folders but not both at the same time). It will not let me set permissions for sub directories, it must be done manually, its a hassle. This is what I'm doing, It's a long process and I feel obligated to explain it. I'm right clicking on the files/ folders, going to the 'security' tab click 'advanced' go to the owner tab, select owner as the owner, select 'OK' and 'OK' out of everything. then right click everything again, go to 'properties' go to the security tab once again under group or user names click 'ADD' then add the user 'owner' click 'OK' then select owner and set full permissions there and you are done. I just hope I help someone along the line :D

5. stantley

stantley

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!