My Documents Duplicated (not shortcut)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zoomerdude

1."My Documents" is properly located at c:\documents and settings\username\my documents.
2. I have a "My Documents" shortcut properly on my desktop. I understand that this is not a duplicate file, but merely a shortcut.
3. However, I also have a duplicate folder at My Computer\username's my documents. This "username's my documents" is not a shortcut. But, it says that it is actually c:\documents and settings\username\my documents, which tells me that it should be a shortcut. I have no clue as to how it can function as a shortcut, similar to the one on my desktop, but not show as a shortcut in the folder properties. If indeed this is a second shortcut with a different name, how do I delete it?

Zoomer

Since it is a system folder, and it was designed for easy access, it has some unusual properties. But it is the same folder, no matter how you get to it (or what it is called).

SymLinks mean that a folder can actually be at more than one place in the file system at the same time. Vista is loaded with them. C:\Users and C:\Documents and Settings is the same folder, for example. So, even though Users is the actual Vista folder, old paths from XP will still work through the symlinks.

Zoomerdude

So, what you are saying is that c:\documents and settings\username\my documents is still a shortcut to the actual folder under c:\documents and settings\username\my documents even though the former has a different name and its properties do not call it a shortcut.

It's not really a shortcut, but the folder itself. Just as the My Documents on the desktop is not a shortcut (C:\D&S\<username>\Desktop) but the actual folder located also at c:\documents and settings\username\my documents. It is not really a symlink in the case of this folder, but it has many of the characteristics of one.

It is just a special folder with special properties, just as the desktop itself is a folder with special display properties.

Zoomerdude

I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I've been looking for this answer for two days now. I appreciate your time.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I've been looking for this answer for two days now. I appreciate your time.
LOL. Well, I'm not sure that I "understand" the logic behind it all, but I do know how it behaves. :D

karbo

Banned
I've personaly changed the My Document's folder target from C:\ to D:\, thus separating my important documents from the drive (C) holding Windows. It's safer in case of a major problem with Windows...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online