1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Documents lost

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by modelvirus, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. modelvirus

modelvirus Thread Starter

I need help!!!! Today, I started my computer, and my entire "My Documents" folder has been wiped out with all my documents. It's as if I'm logged in as a different user or something, and I don't know how to get it back to what it was before.... Any suggestions?? I should have backed up all my files. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might try searching the C:\Documents and Settings directory to see if they just got moved.

Also, if you know of one of the documents, you might try using the Windows Explorer to searc your entire computer for that file. If you find it, perhaps the others will be there as well.

3. modelvirus

The My Documents folder's properties show that the folder was created last night. It seems like last night, something happened, and the My documents folder got re-created and now it has nothing in it. I have no idea what happened. I tried searching the entire C: drive for one document that used to be in there and no longer exists. It's as if I am under a different user or something with a different My Documents folder... but we don't have multiple users on the computer. Any other ideas?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Even if you were a different user, it would not erase the previous one's My Documents. If that happened by default, every time you created a new user, all the previous users would lose their documents. Fortunately this is not what happens.

You might try one of any number of file recovery programs available. Until you do, I wouldn't do much with the computer. It is likely that the space being taken up by one of the deleted files (if that's what happened) will be overwritten.

5. modelvirus

Are there any recovery programs that you recommend? I don't know understand how it got deleted. It just disappeared when we started the computer. thanks.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are there in fact any new user accounts in your Documents and Settings folder?

Thses recovery programs are free. But if possible, you should not use the partition containing the lost files at all. If anything is written to that partition, it may be written over the top of any files that are missing, destroying them. It would be best to connect your drive to a another machine as a secondary so that the drive is not used. Even an expanding pagefile can wipe lost documents.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
    http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ (NTFS only)

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

I've got a drive that decided to make my personal folder in "Documents and Settings" to become "not accessible" and "Access is denied" DRAT!

I immediately put the drive into another computer (as a secondary drive, so as to not write anything on it) so that I don't damage it any further, and have attempted to recover files on this munged drive. I have tried the typical disk fix routines that MS provides on the drive properties. I have tried the PCInspector File_Recovery (mentioned above), I even tried Norton Disk Doctor 2.0. Nothing seems to work. I am getting really frustrated with this.

I can get into all the other user folders in that drives "Documents and Settings" folder, just not this one! As soon as I click on it I get those messages.

When I run PCInspector, on that drive, I get an access violation and then the program hangs.
    Running Norton Disk Doc checks the file structures and indexes and a few other things and doesn't find anything wrong.

Anybody have another recommendation for file recovery?

8. Maverick83

Maverick83

It may be a permission problem there Chuck. Go into safe mode and try to access the files. If you go into the file's properties, you can reset the permissions.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

You got me thinking Mav, and thanks a lot! You were right. I knew I had a permissions problem but I never tried to reset them, nor did I know I could, in the Safe mode.

I did a 'props' on the munged folder, and saw that no one had permissions to that folder. So I "grabbed" ownership, and forced it on all the child objects there. So now I can see all the files again, and I copied them out to another place. Great!

Later I'll write then all off to a CD and keep them in a safe place. Wow, I sure am glad to get those files back! Thanks again.

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

11. modelvirus

It was weird....* it's like our whole My Documents folder got reset by the system.... when you go in there, there's a folder that says "My Pictures" and it has sample pictures on it.... But all of our documents on the desktop are fine, as well as the programs. It was only the "My Documents folder that went. But for some reason, it looks like the My Documents folder was reset. Any ideas why it would do this and how to get back my original setting?

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I really don't know, it is just that I used the TweakUI Powertoy to repair the My Pictures folder just yesterday after posting about the problem on this forum.

13. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Each day when I start up my computer I make a restore point for
    System Restore in case of a screw-up. That has bailed me out numberous times, so see when your last restore point that was made by your computer
    and go-back to that point and your My Documents will be there.

14. modelvirus

And that didn't work...tried three different dates. nothing.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried the recovery software? Any new accounts listed in D&S?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice