My Documents mysteriously disappears!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ptc24

Well, where to start? I had somewhere near 1gb of files in the My Documents folder, ranging from letters, to pictures of my coin collection, to Star Trek LCARS graphics that took hours to design. They were all there yesterday, and earlier today. I've done nothing that would have deleted them (and neither did anyone else to my knowledge.) I'm a computer technician by profession... I know I didn't delete them. But, neverless, they are gone, and Restoration (an undelete program) has NO record of the files having been deleted. The only major thing I've done today is install a new DVD-ROM drive.

So, what happened to the files? Hacking? I don't think so, I'm behind a hardware firewall. No one else (to my knowledge) has touched my machine, so what's up? Did they get moved? Nope, I searched the hard drive for several of the files... they're gone!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,

Patrick

When you check the drive capacity has it significantly changed since before?

ptc24

Yes, there's an extra gb free, about what was in my My Documents folder. Now, last night I was able to find many of the files using an undelete program, but about half of them had been corrupted. The reason I couldn't find them at first was because many of them had been renamed. I'm thinking that a malicious worm may be at fault, so I'm running a virus scan now.

Thanks for the help,

Patrick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online