1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"My Documents" opens automatically after boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barrique, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barrique

barrique Thread Starter

Hi,

When starting my computer each time "My Documents" is opened automatically.
    I cleaned out the startup folder, closed all windows manually, but the problem remains.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
    Barrique.

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

It sounds almost as if you have My Documents set up as your home page,click on tools at the top of the page,then on internet options and check out what it says in the box for home page

3. barrique

barrique Thread Starter

I am not at home, so I cannot check at the moment, but suppose this would be true : why would he launch IE automatically after booting ? The problem is not that it opens My Documents, the problem is that it opens it everytime I start or restart my computer ... and I have no clue why.

4. jppells

jppells

"My Documents" is not set to my homepage, yet it opens a 'My Documents' window everytime I restart or Start as well. What IS up with that???? It's bugging the crap outta me. HELP! :confused:

5. jppells

jppells

still experiencing the problem....Barrique, have you had any success in figuring out just what the heck we did to deserve this anomoly? hurry, it's killing me!!!!

6. GirlRacer

GirlRacer

I'm not an expert or anything, but I think it has something to do with the startup options i.e.one of the programs or windows designated to open at startup.

Cant quite remember how to sort it, but with advice I managed to stop it happening on a friends laptop, so if no one has replied by this afternoon, I'll find out for you.

7. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Try this if you havent already

Remove the My Documents Folder from the Start menu

If you do not want to display My Documents on the Start menu, follow these steps:

Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties. Click Customize. Click the Advanced tab.

In the Start menu items list, under My Documents, click Don't display this item, and then click OK twice. The next time you click Start, the My Documents folder is no longer displayed on the Start menu.

NOTE: Removing the My Documents folder from the Start menu does not remove the files stored in the target location of the My Documents folder.

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

This can also happen if there's a download in My Documents which has remained there after being installed into it's own directory. Take a look through msconfig to see if there's a programme targetting C:\My Documents|*.exe at Startup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice