1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Documents won't click open or preview

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markfox, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markfox

markfox Thread Starter

For no apparent reason, I can't open or preview .doc or .jpeg files directly, without going to "open with" and choosing Windows Fax and Picture Viewer. Until recently, this was automatic, and I can't think that I have done anything to change defaults.

Note that in Downloads, the problem is not there and I can either preview or open such files with a single click.

I have already tried the following without success:

1. Open with - choose programme - always use this programme to open this kind of file.
    2. Start - Run - sfc / scannow

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, but I'm not even sure if this is a Windows problem, or if somehow the previous defaults have stopped operating.

By the way, in Outlook Express 6, I have recently found that I can't print off e-mails (gmail). I have to go to the gmail site in order to do this.

I doubt if the above two problems are related, but any help would be much appreciated.

Note that I am a comparative novice so please keep it simple! Also I am running Norton Internet Security 2012 and Utilities version 15 - having recently changed from the 2011 version - and get all updates for Windows and Norton automatically.

Since I gave my computer a good clean with the new Utilities last week, I am now wondering if I could have disturbed something to do with the document opening / previewing.

2. markfox

markfox Thread Starter

A further thought. Not long ago I added Faststone Imagine Viewer. Could the addition of this "competitor" have confused Windows and removed the default? (I have now deleted Faststone but it has made no difference.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!