1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Documents

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snappyd, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snappyd

snappyd Thread Starter

I tried to replace a fan in my PC. Took out the heat sink only to find the CPU welded to the heatsink. (n)

SO I tried to get a new 2.0 mhz CPU with no luck... so I had to upgrade the pC including a fresh hard drive.

My original hard drive has now my become my slave drive.
    All my info on the old/slave drive was there, apart from "My Documents".
    when I try to access them I am denied.
    Escuse my ignorance but is this normal????
    Is this an XP thing or what?

At one time we had different log-ins for the family but when this fan thing happened I was the sole user.
    Can any expert tell me where I can find these documents as I would like to format the drive soon so I can use it as a library for my photographs.
    I am a professional photographer.
    David
    (Snappyd)

2. braejr

braejr

I would suggest right-clicking on the folder and go to the security tab. Once in the Security Tab change the permissions for all users to "FULL". Try that out and let us know how it worked.

3. snappyd

snappyd Thread Starter

Have tried as you stated but there is no Security tab...General/Sharing/Customize.
    This is a complete mystery...well to me.

4. braejr

braejr

Are you logged in as local administrator or do you have administrative rights on the computer?

5. snappyd

snappyd Thread Starter

On the present PC with a new hard drive, I am sole user, as I was previous.

6. braejr

braejr

Does it give you any specific error messages or error codes when you try to access the folder? What OS was the previous install, was it XP as well?

7. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

On all my computers there are two things that I burn a copy of '' My Documents
    being the most important, and the second is a folder that is on my desktop called "unused" for everything else. My Documents contain pictures that we have taken in China, Alaska and Europe over the years, have several CD's of each. I use Nero, for my back-ups.

8. begud4me

begud4me

well if the old hard drive still has the op sys on it i think you can set it up as the master and the new drive as the slave. then copy everything over to the new drive that you need. Switch em back and format the old drive.

9. snappyd

snappyd Thread Starter

I have a back up of MY Documents somewhere...will probably turn up when I move house. Yeah right I have made a big mistake....just trying to cure it tho.
    The previous sytem was yes... XP Home exactly the same OS I am using....
    the message is :-

X F/Documents and settings\My name is not accessible.
    Access is denied

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice